Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the next highest gun after a .243 for hunting White tail deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the next highest gun after a .243 for hunting White tail deer?

What is the next highest gun after a .243 for hunting White tail deer?

there is a .264 but its not that common so .270 in common calibers.

Comment

Do you mean the next larger caliber? I might suggest a .257 Roberts or .250 Savage. If you want more than that, the .260 Rem or 6.5x55mm are fine options also.

Comment

Next up is the highly recommended .25 caliber. Cartridges are the 257 Roberts, 25 WSSM and 25-06. The 06 is my favorite gun.

Comment

i assume by your question that you want more power than a .243, but not so much that it destroys you or the deer. Everyone else has posted great answers, but i would add the 7mm-08 into the conversation.

Comment

I would go with the .270, it is a very good deer caliber, plus you can find ammo in any sporting goods store.

Comment

I would suggest a .25-'06 or .270 Win., either one will make you very happy insofar as accuracy, cost of operations, and killing results. Just choose a good bullet.

Comment

My answer echos Del's, with one addition: the 257 Ackley Improved. This presumes that you are a handloader and that you like to experiment and develop loads in your rifles. If you do, and if you try the 257 AI, you'll find a rifle that will shoot as fast, flat and hard as a 25-06, but, because the 257 AI is a more efficient cartridge than the 25-06, with less recoil, less powder burn, and, ultimately, less cost. Plus the 257 AI is just a very cool cartridge.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the cartrige but the .260 Rem is .308 case necked down to a 6.5mm bullet as opposed to the .243 which is a 6mm.

Comment

I believe the next caliber would be the .257 but I would highly suggest a .270... you can take about any North American game with that caliber.

Comment

25-06 or .270 Win. Mag.!!!

Comment

.25 caliber

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                          by Pmacc60
                          You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                          Today, 09:19 PM
                        • The Horse Race
                          by rock rat
                          There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                          Today, 09:43 AM
                          by 99explorer
                          The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                          The economy continued
                          Today, 09:03 PM
                          by Pmacc60
                          Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                          Today, 08:48 PM
                          by 99explorer
                          "Fake news" is a cop out.
                          I used it once myself to avoid doing research.
                          Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X