Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lever-action brush guns: to scope or not to scope? Anybody still use Lyman or Lyman-style sites anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lever-action brush guns: to scope or not to scope? Anybody still use Lyman or Lyman-style sites anymore?

Lever-action brush guns: to scope or not to scope? Anybody still use Lyman or Lyman-style sites anymore?

My house is split, I have a red dot sight on my lever gun but my father has a lyman sight on his brush gun.

The edge is accuracy goes to my father due to experience as I susspect it will always be.

Comment

Weaver K-6 on my Marlin 1895.

Comment

I put a peep site on my 30-30 and you'd think I was using a scope if you saw the target

Comment

My Marlin 336 .35 Remington wears a Redfield 2x7.

Comment

If you scope, go with low power...2-7X shotgun scopes work well.

Comment

In my opinion a scope defeats the purpose of a brush gun, that being a quickly aimed shot in heavy cover. Most of my hunting rifles are scoped except for my lever action .30-30.

Comment

Savage 99F in .358 Win wears a Lyman-style Williams aperture sight. Milk jugs at 100 yards offhand are a snap.

Comment

Had the red dot on my 1895. Replaced it with a SLUG GUN scope. at 2 power works just fine. And I can ram it up if I have to.

Comment

My great-grandpa had a 30-30 Savage. He does not remember when he lost the front sight on the gun; nobody does. He was the best shot in our family... and we have some awesome shots.

Comment

i put a scope on all my rifles, anyone thats handy with a rifle shouldnt have a problem killing a moving deer in the brush with a scope on low power. i like to be able to have the ability to shoot something at a distance to, i feel not having a scope is handicapping myself.

Comment

i have two pre 64 30-30's and neither are scoped.

Comment

Afraid I'm like Gary Sitton liked to say, "the companies have started making fuzzy iron sights so I need the scope".

Comment

I miss G. Sitton's musings.

Comment

I have a fine Lyman peep on my old 25/35, but I haven't hunted deer with it, and I may never,it's a very light round. My Marlin 336 has one and any other lever I would get (except a 94) would sport one. I think sometimes the thick brush is where a scope is needed most,even with a slug throwing shotgun. Low power setting of course.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad