Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a used Marlin 336A 30-30 and I'm wondering if I should put see through scope mounts on them...I have heard it lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eben Venter
    replied
    The answer might come a little late now but have a look at www.skinnersights.com once you get used to peeps you wont want to use anything else.

The only optical that I might consider would be a reflex sight, no magnification and illuminated for fast target acquisition in darker forest situations. You can keep both eyes open with these sights, thus it is as easy as pointing the finger and pulling the trigger.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with hal herring and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• simo
    replied
    I have used over under scope mounts that allow you to see the iron sights and also see through the scope. It is true that you cannot rest your chin on the rifle butt. It makes for inconsistent shooting. I would prefer regular scope mounts

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    That gun is hard to beat with iron sights. If you prefer a scope, put on a low mount 2-7 or lower power. You will have a large enough field of view to pick up anything in the timber quickly including close running shots. Forget the see through mounts... with the right scope you will never have to consider dropping back to iron sights. Just remember, for whitetails and that rifle, you don't need high power for 500-1,000 yard shots. You needs something that can pick up a running whitetail quickly at 25 yards in the thick brush. If you can do that, you can easily hit any whitetail standing in the clear at 250 yards.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    This is a matter of personal preference, but the see-through mounts raise the scope too high for me. I prefer to use a low-mounted, low magnification scope (2x or 3x) for a Marlin 1894 or 336 because I can shoulder the piece quickly and naturally, without adjusting to see through the center of the scope's eyepiece.

Leave a comment:

• M1jhartman
    replied
    If your eyes are good enough to use open sights, go with a good peep sight and be done with it. Best of luck to ya.

Leave a comment:

• BuckTheSystem
    replied
    I have the same gun and use the look under mounts. I LOVE them and wouldn't go without. You have to rest your face a bit different when using the scope, but the look under mounts have so many advantages that they a worth it.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    BTW, my younger brother used the .30-30 LeverEvolution 160 gr. this year to drop his first deer at nearly 200 yards. It's in my pics check it out. I would feel comfortable shooting .30-30 LeverEvolution to 300 yards.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    I had a set on my 336 and they worked well.

Leave a comment:

• kyle
    replied
    Depends on the area you are hunting, if you are hunting on opening land you must likely want to have a scope. After you get adjusted to it it will come naturaly to you when you bring the gun up. If you are hunting in the thick brush open sites or a very low power scope will work, better off with open sites. 30-30 is know for the "Brush gun" in northern WI. I hunt in northern WI I have a .243, .270, and 7mag with no iron sights, just have to used to your gun. I know this for a fact. My cousin used my .270 and missed a huge buck at a lousy 100 yards, the next day I took the same gun and shot a large 8 at 200 yards. I personaly beleive you have to be comfortable with your gun. Just spend time shooting the gun for every situation, fast draw to leaning against a tree.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    i have used raised field view sight mounts and like them,but i use iron sights on a marlin 30/30

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    you have picked possibly the best 30-30 out there a 2-7 or a 3-9 low mounted won't let you down. You can use that gun anywhere in N America. Cherish and enjoy it and pass it down to your kids!!

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    you have picked possibly the best 30-30 out there a 2-7 or a 3-9 low mounted won't let you down. You can use that gun anywhere in N America. Cherish and enjoy it and pass it down to your kids!!

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    I have used see through scope rings and didn't have a problem with them. I do prefer to use iron sights on my 30/30 though. Get fiber optic sights from Cabelas and you will have sights even in low light conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    ben,
    Forget the see thru mounts, get medium rings or if you remove iron sights (recommended) maybe low. Whatever bullet you shoot make sure it's RN or Flex Tip.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad