Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a used Marlin 336A 30-30 and I'm wondering if I should put see through scope mounts on them...I have heard it lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a used Marlin 336A 30-30 and I'm wondering if I should put see through scope mounts on them...I have heard it lift

I just bought a used Marlin 336A 30-30 and I'm wondering if I should put see through scope mounts on them...I have heard it lifts the scope to high and you can't rest your cheek comfortable on the rifle. Anyone tried them?

I’m thinking of Weaver that makes it, but low profile what you truly need if you’re going to put a scope on your 30-30. By the way 150 grain is the heaviest you need for deer by the way! Also I’d check into the 30-30 WIN 160 GR FTX LEVERevolution ammo made by Hornady item #82730!

Comment

I agree with Clay that 150 grains is all you will need, and it performs better than the heavier bullet- still, check the ballistics, there's a lot of drop in the 30/30 if you have to shoot more than 100 yards, although the energy is still pretty good. The 336 A is a good rifle to shoot, quick and nicely balanced an dependable.

I've always hear that more deer have been killed with
      the 30/30 than the rest of the calibers put together.

But now, to answer your question. You made a good choice with the Marlin and the caliber. Don't mess it up by putting see through scope mounts on it. Yes, I know all the old time country boys have them, and yes, they really seem like a great idea, the best of both worlds. The problem is see-throughs are the worst of both worlds, and I know I'll make a lot of people mad by saying that. I started out a long long time ago with a lever gun and see throughs (with a 2.5x scope with a post reticule!). Time has passed that setup by.

See throughs make the scope sit too high- check your cheek weld- that stock should weld to your cheek just below the cheek bone- the bone is your anchor, and you should be looking straight down the barrel, through the sights from that anchor. Almost no scope mounts are low enough to let you do this correctly, let alone see throughs, which put the scope up so high that your "cheek weld" will be along your jaw line at best. You can't shoot well that way. You can shoot, but you can't shoot as well as the rifle will shoot.

Your rifle is configured for open sights- your cheek weld will be great with open sights. The lever gun is prescope technology, and it is handiest without optics. BUT. I believe 100% in optics. And if I had that Marlin, and I was going to use it for everyday hunting, and could afford a scope, I'd put one on it. I'd get a gunsmith to find me the lowest possible quality mounts, and I'd put a good quality scope on it- fixed 6 or less- with a good rapid acquisition reticule (no posts!). If your cheek weld is still too low, get a stick-on cheek pad to bring it up- i have one like this one: http://www.swshotguns.com/html/accessories_html.html

You can also use foam pipe insulation and a roll of duct tape, which I've done, too, or, if you are dressing for style, find a leather cheek pad.

And then I'd sight that sucker in off a sandbag at 50 yards get it dead on, then shoot a few groups at 100 yards, hopefully good ones, then put it through the paces, burn some rounds, shoot some pumpkins, some coffee cans, milk jugs full of water, then clean it real good, check it again from the bench and the sandbag, and be proud to have a good shooting dependable all around rifle.

But nix the see-throughs.

Comment

If you buy a good low powered scope, you won't even need or want to use the irons. Something that cranks down to 2 or even 1 or 1.5 will be perfect. It won't be too much magnification for the close shots. Also, most low magnification scopes have small objective lenses so they can be mounted lower than your average 3-9X40 scopes.

I like to shoot just irons on lever guns, but I have 3, so the Marlin gets a scope, the Winchester 94 is just irons, and the Savage 99 has had a scope on it for years, but I just took it off a month or so ago just because that gun looks so good naked.

Comment

ben,
          Forget the see thru mounts, get medium rings or if you remove iron sights (recommended) maybe low. Whatever bullet you shoot make sure it's RN or Flex Tip.

Comment

I have used see through scope rings and didn't have a problem with them. I do prefer to use iron sights on my 30/30 though. Get fiber optic sights from Cabelas and you will have sights even in low light conditions.

Comment

you have picked possibly the best 30-30 out there a 2-7 or a 3-9 low mounted won't let you down. You can use that gun anywhere in N America. Cherish and enjoy it and pass it down to your kids!!

Comment

you have picked possibly the best 30-30 out there a 2-7 or a 3-9 low mounted won't let you down. You can use that gun anywhere in N America. Cherish and enjoy it and pass it down to your kids!!

Comment

i have used raised field view sight mounts and like them,but i use iron sights on a marlin 30/30

Comment

Depends on the area you are hunting, if you are hunting on opening land you must likely want to have a scope. After you get adjusted to it it will come naturaly to you when you bring the gun up. If you are hunting in the thick brush open sites or a very low power scope will work, better off with open sites. 30-30 is know for the "Brush gun" in northern WI. I hunt in northern WI I have a .243, .270, and 7mag with no iron sights, just have to used to your gun. I know this for a fact. My cousin used my .270 and missed a huge buck at a lousy 100 yards, the next day I took the same gun and shot a large 8 at 200 yards. I personaly beleive you have to be comfortable with your gun. Just spend time shooting the gun for every situation, fast draw to leaning against a tree.

Comment

I had a set on my 336 and they worked well.

Comment

BTW, my younger brother used the .30-30 LeverEvolution 160 gr. this year to drop his first deer at nearly 200 yards. It's in my pics check it out. I would feel comfortable shooting .30-30 LeverEvolution to 300 yards.

Comment

I have the same gun and use the look under mounts. I LOVE them and wouldn't go without. You have to rest your face a bit different when using the scope, but the look under mounts have so many advantages that they a worth it.

Comment

If your eyes are good enough to use open sights, go with a good peep sight and be done with it. Best of luck to ya.

Comment

This is a matter of personal preference, but the see-through mounts raise the scope too high for me. I prefer to use a low-mounted, low magnification scope (2x or 3x) for a Marlin 1894 or 336 because I can shoulder the piece quickly and naturally, without adjusting to see through the center of the scope's eyepiece.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad