Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think an airgun that shoots about 600 fps is enough for squirrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you think an airgun that shoots about 600 fps is enough for squirrels?

do you think an airgun that shoots about 600 fps is enough for squirrels?

That would be very marginal. Get something more along the line of 1000 fps and it must be accurate. BTW squirrels are more difficult to kill than rabbits in my experience.

Comment

Buddyboy564,
      Del's right, squirrels are harder to kill, and smaller to shoot. No joke, I've shot them on a limb way up with a 22 and had them clamp down with their claws and stay there dead. That's why I went to shooting hollow points. More wasted meat but a squirrel on the ground.

Comment

Thanks guys, i was just wondering because that is the type of airgun that i have but i have a .22 i could use also, i was just a bit curious!!!

Comment

Use the .22. You would do nothing but hurt the squirrel. Ive tried this before and I had no luck.

Comment

I have a 40 dollar pellet/bb gun from walmart...and yes it is enough. A good first shot to the head or vitals will drop them, if its not a good shot it might take 2 or 3

Comment

When I was a kid, it took 3 shots right into the vitals between me and my friend with similarly powered airguns to kill a squirrel. You need something more powerful. If you have a .22 airgun shooting 600 fps that should be enough, but .177 at that speed is good for small birds and that's about it.

Comment

I have a 66 powermaster that is advertised to shoot 677 or so woth pellets, and 600 with bb. I am confident i could get one with pellets but mayb not bbs.

Comment

I have a Crosman Pumpmaster 760 that shoots a touch over 600 fps and I have killed many squirrels with it at distances up to 60 yards.

Comment

Just get a resonable distance to it, than yes it would.

Comment

i have never used an air rifle to hunt with but I do have a scoped Model 57 auto winchester that shoots only 22 short. I have used this rifle on countless rabbits and have never been disappointed with the performance, but the same can not be said for gray squirrels. I finally went to high velocity hp and they did the job inside of 35 yards. This cartridge is a 29 gr. bullet with a velocity of 1100 fps. I have no question about your airgun killing a squirrel occasionally, but I believe that you will wound as many as you bag.

Comment

Thanks guy i think that i will just use a .22

Comment

i would use somtin bigger but if yiou have to you could kill it with a shot to the head.

Comment

Some of this depends on the airgun's caliber and pellet weight. A .22 pellet with significant mass at 600fps may do the job quite well. A .177 is probably pretty marginal - usually the .177 airguns shooting at that velocity are competition types, which might have other issues as field-use airguns. Most of the .177s suitable for hunting are 900fps or greater. Even these will require good placement of shots, but can be economical and also help avoid spooking game.

Comment

yeah thats what i got and it works great for what you want

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad