Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the maximum range a red dot scope is good for? I am looking at replacing my conventional scope on my muzzleloader with a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the maximum range a red dot scope is good for? I am looking at replacing my conventional scope on my muzzleloader with a

What is the maximum range a red dot scope is good for? I am looking at replacing my conventional scope on my muzzleloader with a red dot scope. Would i be able to shoot past 200 yards with it?

It depends on the size of the dot. Some dots cover up 4 inches at 100 yards. If the dot is small enough I guess you could, but red dot scopes are more for short range, fast target acquisition and not long range accuracy.

Comment

I have a 3x-red dot scope on my AK47 and I shoot Steel
      at 175Yd to 325Yd it has 11 settings,I use the smallest dot...Buy Good not Cheap!

Comment

I wouldn't try to use a standard red do much past 90-100 yards. If it has a very fine MOA dot, maybe a hair further, but certainly not 200 yards reliably. If you have one with some magnification you can use it pretty much like any other scope.

Comment

WTH are you trying to shoot a muzzleloader that far anyway? Been watching too much Jim Shockey?

Comment

I would agree with a red dot being only good out to 100yds but with a lot of practice you might be alright out to 200. And I disagree with WA I have dropped a Bull Elk at 212yds with open sights on my CVA Optima, but it has a magnum barrel and was loaded pretty hot.

Comment

Just last year i shot a deer at 250 with my .45 CVA Optima... i may have thought it was only about 200 but it droped it just the same! It isn't uncommon to get 200+ yard shots where i hunt, and i have grown pretty comfortable shooting at these distances. As mentioned in my last question i currently have a Barska on it and am looking to make these shots a little clearer.

Comment

red dot scopes have no magnification so if you can see that far you can sight it for that far. i have a couple of the one on my shot gun and one on my AR love them both.

Comment

Was playing with my model 94 30.30. I have a Harko Mark lll. It has 7 power settings and 4 different reticles. I'm deadly at 100 yards but in bright sunlight the lowest setting is almost impossible to see. One click up and you're good but then at 150 yards you're in the weeds, at least I am when shooting at a paper plate. I can hit it but I'm shooting 8 inch spreads. It's an eye thing and of course, those hits would most likely be kill shots on a deer. Let the sun drop and being able to use the smallest dot and that improves. With all this said, what everyone else has said is true. I'm trying to decide on whether to get some fiber optic steel sights but the red dot is such an advantage in lower light. I guess it is what it is. A 30.30 is a brush gun. Trying to let it compete with my 243 or 300 mag just ain't gonna happen. Hahaha

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                    by 99explorer
                    Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                    When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                    Today, 07:29 PM
                  • Give them all they need ...
                    by jhjimbo
                    I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                    10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                  • Reply to Snapshot
                    by FirstBubba
                    Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                    I've never carried over about $1500.
                    Today, 07:27 PM
                  • Snapshot
                    by jhjimbo
                    What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                    I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                    Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                  • Reply to Snapshot
                    by PigHunter
                    "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                    Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X