Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im looking for a scope to put on my Remington 572 Fieldmaster (their .22 pump action rifle). Any suggestions for a moderately p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im looking for a scope to put on my Remington 572 Fieldmaster (their .22 pump action rifle). Any suggestions for a moderately p

Im looking for a scope to put on my Remington 572 Fieldmaster (their .22 pump action rifle). Any suggestions for a moderately priced scope that'd work well on this rifle for squirrel?

I own the same model, and I bought a Bushnell 3-9 x 32 scope designed specifically for .22s. It's worked perfectly, I don't squirrel hunt too much (I'm still in college, so time is an issue) but the last time I went out I shot a squirrel out of a tree with that setup at 25 yards, head shot.

Comment

I bought a Daisy 3-9X32 airgun scope at Walmart for 32 bucks and put it on my Ruger 10/22. I am amazed at how accurate and clear the glass on this scope is. It is a better scope than some of the $100 Bushnells I've had, but isn't quite as good as my Leupold VXII. I would highly recommend that you Look into this.

Comment

BSA makes pretty good scopes for the money as well. I have one on my varmint rifle and it works fine for me.

Comment

As said above, most airgun scopes are changeable with .22s. I had a cowbird infestation, and mounted my Bushnell Banner on my Winchester S1000.

I was warned that high-powered air rifles can damage real rifle scopes, because of the recoil insulation in them. Recoil is reversed on an air rifle. I never thought about it.

Remember to take into account the range you're shooting at. Some multi-magnification scopes have a minimum range at a higher power. I calibrated mine at 60 ft., which worked for 2X, but got fuzzy dialed up to 5X.

Which is the reason I used the bushnell. I need a scope with the "astigmatism" adjustment (that extra dial on the front that says "0 - infinity").

Comment

Nikon, Bushnell and Burris all make very goo mid to low priced scopes. I tend to stick with a fixed power scope for .22 use to avoid paralax problems with the variables.

Comment

Bushnell&BSA both make good "cheap" scopes. Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

Leaupold vx-1 3x9, burris fullfield 3x9, Nikon buckmaster. All reasonable priced scopes that will hold up better than the ultra cheap glass out there.

Comment

Jeff4066,
                  You are correct sir, a pellet gun will ruin a rifle scope. Reverse punch. I don't understand it but it's true.

Comment

SBell,
                    I meant to talk to you first. I have that same 572 Fieldmaster 22 rifle. I just got mine back together. I still use my iron sights, it's the most accurate 22 rifle I ever owned. When I put a scope on it I'm going with a fixed power. Why a variable on a 22?

Comment

Jim in Mo,

I the rifle is accurate for me, I have just been toying with the idea of a scope. Variable or fixed power, I'm just looking at all the options out there for now. The only issue I have with putting a scope on this awesome rifle is taking away from the natural look of the rifle. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

Thanks for the reply, for what its worth, I'm in MO too ... if your ever out at Finger Lakes State park shooting let me know.

SBell

Comment

Agreed with Jeff4066 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad