Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so heres the deal. My dad wants to get me a new rifle and I told him I wanted a 25-06 and he said yes to that but I may also

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so heres the deal. My dad wants to get me a new rifle and I told him I wanted a 25-06 and he said yes to that but I may also

Ok so heres the deal. My dad wants to get me a new rifle and I told him I wanted a 25-06 and he said yes to that but I may also want to look into the 270. I want a remington and as ive seen the 270 is the only gun in either calibers that has one for leftys like me. so what do i do? look for a 25-06 in left handed or just get the 270?

Are you the same guy that already has a .243? If so, get the .270. You'll be set for deer, bear, antelope, elk, caribou, black bears, etc.

Comment

yea im the same guy lol. my dad just changed his mind!

Comment

Go for the .270.

Comment

Wow, what a great problem. When I was your age and wanted a new gun I had to decide if I should get another job in addition to my paper route or dump the paper route all together and get a job bagging groceries after school.

Comment

Yeah...seriously. When's someone gonna buy me a rifle?

Comment

Take the .270, you won't regret it.

Comment

thanks guys. sorry shane alls i got is that single shot .243 that i would possibly sell.

Comment

Chris 95. he already owns a 243. SELL THE 243, BUY A BOLT 25-06. shane, ask ur poppy and maybe he will buy you one. i don't know if i, myself, would buy a 270. it has a little too much recoil. i CAN handle recoil. don't everybody start callin me a wuss. i shoot a 30-30..but you'll be a lot more accurate and less flinchy with a 25-06. it has the knockdown power of a 270 and the flat trajectory of the 22-250 (as Clay said, i believe). 25-06 is your best choice in my opinion. and sicne you're just a kid, you don't need to be taking recoil. it'll get you to anticipate recoil, and we DON'T want that. 25-06. if Clay comments on here, i'm sure he's gonna agree with me. but thats what i think.

Comment

hey if you are getn guns from your parents keep your 243 ans get a 270 amo is cheaper and as far as factory loads go is more diverse. as far as ballistics goes it is really up to you. good luck out there.

Comment

25-06 is very diverse too! 70 grain bullets all the way up to about 135. VERY flat trajectory. big enough to shoot elk. perfect for antelope, pronghorn, whitetail, VARMINTS OF ANY KIND.

Comment

I would get a 30-06 because u can down grade the powder so its weaker and up it so it is more powerful

Comment

I started with a .243 and grew up with 2 rifles a 25-06 and a .270... (I quit shooting the .243 after trying the 25-06 on running coyotes). I am on my fourth barrel on the 25-06 after 40-50,000 rounds. I have shot about 40 rounds out of the .270. Every time I reached for the .25, that .270 was sitting there saying "Take me!" "Take me!" but I never seemed to take it. Guess why that is. Side by side, there was no contest... the .25 has no recoil, blazing speed, ultra flat shooting and sooo flexible... perfect for everything from prairie dogs and woodchucks to deer. You just can't put it down and pull up a .270... you just don't want to lose the edge. Don't get me wrong... a .270 is a wonderful rifle, clearly second only to the 25-06 for hunting in the lower 48. Too bad you can't take one of each out and try to: a)hit something running fast at 250-300 yards and b) pop off 200 rounds. You will find that both kill a deer about exactly the same once you actually hit the deer but a) and b) are noticably different.

Comment

Oh, by the way... I shoot left handed and use a right handed action... no problem. I never wanted to get a left handed action in case I ever want to sell or trade it. You just have to be careful to get a stock that fits... no big roll over. I even put a left handed stock on my 25-06 because it has a thumb hole... no problem. Rem 700 has stocks you will like. Most manufacturers do.

Comment

Actually I'm thinking about buying him a gun...

Someone please return the favor?

Reid - .270 recoil isn't that terribly bad. Just practice. You have your whole life to use the rifle. You will get bigger, and even before you do, you'll be shooting that thing like it's a BB gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad