Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was handed down a .257 Roberts. It has a Mauser action and double set trigger. It was hand made by a gunsmith in Plattekill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was handed down a .257 Roberts. It has a Mauser action and double set trigger. It was hand made by a gunsmith in Plattekill

I was handed down a .257 Roberts. It has a Mauser action and double set trigger. It was hand made by a gunsmith in Plattekill NY. I had it re-blued and it looks and shoot great. Any idea what it might be worth?

Don’t you even think about it THAT”S A KEEPER!

Comment

I would suggest that you look at Gunsinternational or Gunbroker, I dont think I could even put a price on a gun that was left to me by my relatives. But can I ask how you like the double set triggers? I think they are awsome on those old Mausers.

Comment

$695 Minimum. Depending on the action. Is it a military action which was reworked or a Mauser factory product? It is probably worth more, especially a family heirloom.

Comment

I have no intentions of selling this, but it's just nice to know its value. I believe it's a military action Mauser(possible called 1898?). Love the double set trigger. It ajusts with a little screw. Barely have to pull. Took a little getting used to. Thanks for the responses so far. Much appreciated!

Comment

Don't know value, but you picked up a gun in a caliber I have been cruising pawn and gunshop shelves for during the last several years. My buddy has a little old Ruger with the tang safety in that caliber, and I can't talk him out of it, so have been wanting one of my own.

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic rifle in a favorite cartridge. Is the interior of the barrel still in good contition? I would keep it forever and use it as that is what these kind of guns are made for. Is the name of the gunsmith evident and will you reveal it? As Bee said whether it is a reworked military Mauser or commercial has bearing on worth as does maker.

Comment

ishawooa: The inside of the barrel is in pretty good shape. The maker was Russ Carpenter, he passed away in the last five years. I found a lot of info on him on the internet as he also was a writer in addition to a gunsmith. I'm looking foward to hunting with it this Fall and plan to use it for a long time.

Comment

Give you $150.oo for it

Comment

Wow, this is the kind of rifle many of us dream about, a mannlicher stock with fine checkering and maybe a bit of engraving on the action would certainly make a pretty picture beautiful, if you follow my drift. Regardless sounds like you have a winner.

Comment

Any chance of seeing a picture of it?

Comment

Sorry 2Poppa don't have any pics.

Comment

As you have probably have discovered, Mr. Carpenter was a gunsmith of some note. One of his rifles, especially in the tradition of a European type rifle would be a treasure to have!

Comment

.257 Roberts Mauser with double set triggers made by Russ Carpenter? This is a rifle of dreams. Never sell it. Not only is it a treasure, it is likely a superior hunting arm.

Comment

Ish - good call on the Mannlicher stock...the first thing I thought of when I read this was the original Mannlicher Schoenauer. I want one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad