Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is probably a dumb question but, can i fire .22 short ammo ( cci cb short sub sonics) out of a .22 LR bolt action rifle? if

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nolan,

I have one suggestion for you. If you do shoot shorts in the Lakefield make sure to clean the rifle's chamber well. I've found that when shooting shorts in a long rifle chamber "crud" (powder fouling, bullet lub, etc) will build up a the mouth of the chamber making a .22 LR a tight fit at times. A simple cleaning of the barrel and chamber with a bore brush and solvent followed by a little gun oil will take care of the problem quickly. Cleaning is a normal part of shooting!

Good luck with the CB's and shorts! They do make quiet and effective pest control rounds. Check out the new Remington .22 CB's. They have come up with a higher velocity but still very quiet round for pest work.

Comment

I am going to have to go with beekeeper. My question is... What is the difference between .22 long and .22 short rifle ammo. My dad has a Remington long rifle and a Marlin short barrel. I shoot the same ammo out of both of them

Comment

Thanks Beekeeper,

the barrel is stamped .22LR only, so i haven't given it shot yet.
        i obviously more concerned for my own safety than anything else.
        I'll maybe wait and read some more before i make the final call.

Comment

The 22 short is simply a physically shorter and less powerful cartridge than the standard 22 l.r. The only real problem from prolonged shooting of the shorter cartridge in the longer chamber is that it will eventually burn a small erosion ring that will hamper the extraction of the long rifle round. occasional shooting of the 22 short is certainly acceptable and a great deal of fun.I was a full time gunsmith for many years and can remember this particular situation coming up on a couple of occasions.

Comment

Thanks everyone who took the time to give some insightful advice.
            I shot ten rounds through it today, no problem!
            Beekeeper, I did notice a buildup, so thank you for pointing that out.
            And I will keep that in mind Libertyfirst.

Comment

Sorry that you got some bad advice before, it is good to be safe and make sure of something before risking injury, but in this case it is safe to fire in most rifles chambered for 22 long rifle also 22 long, 22 short, 22CB and 22BB, depending largely on the feed mechanism.
              The cartridge and bullet of all of these rounds is the same diameter.
              The 22 bullet is heeled and the heel inserted into the cartridge as opposed to most cartridges, including the 22WMR where the neck of the cartridge is larger than the bullet and the bullet inserted into it.
              The result is that regardless of cartridge length the bullet is seated in the chamber and the casing wall supported to prevent rupture or leakage.
              Wikipedia has some information on this which is actually researched in peer reviewed publications, from manufacturers of ammunition and firearms manufacturers. The information there is reliable and accurate, unlike asking a random stranger on the internet with no idea of their qualification, if any,
              or the source of their misinformation.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle#Cartridge_construction

Edit:
              I see many people have jumped in to get the right answer before me, don't know why when I saw this question/answer the only answer showing was incorrect. All the others look correct.

Comment

beekeeper is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by libertyfirst View Post
                  The 22 short is simply a physically shorter and less powerful cartridge than the standard 22 l.r. The only real problem from prolonged shooting of the shorter cartridge in the longer chamber is that it will eventually burn a small erosion ring that will hamper the extraction of the long rifle round. occasional shooting of the 22 short is certainly acceptable and a great deal of fun.I was a full time gunsmith for many years and can remember this particular situation coming up on a couple of occasions.
                  Will it cycle in a regular Ruger 10/22 rifle? I have been told no, but I have 100 rounds of useless ammo if I can't use it in my new to me gun.

Comment

We have a little badger .22lr cal breakaway rifle, and my buddy has .22 short ammunition and the gun doesn't fire... could it be the ammunition or something else causing the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Wolf View Post
                      We have a little badger .22lr cal breakaway rifle, and my buddy has .22 short ammunition and the gun doesn't fire... could it be the ammunition or something else causing the problem?
                      I would say that you have a gun problem. 22 rimfire ammunition can miss fire, but only one or two in a box of 50 is the most I have seen in the tens of thousands of 22's I have fired.

Comment

you can shoot a 22 short it may not eject but never put a 22L or 22LR in a gun that was designed for 22short . the 22 short has a short chamber and a 22lr will be shoved way up into rifleling and may not close.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad