Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is probably a dumb question but, can i fire .22 short ammo ( cci cb short sub sonics) out of a .22 LR bolt action rifle? if

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is probably a dumb question but, can i fire .22 short ammo ( cci cb short sub sonics) out of a .22 LR bolt action rifle? if

This is probably a dumb question but, can i fire .22 short ammo ( cci cb short sub sonics) out of a .22 LR bolt action rifle? if not why not, what potential problems may arise. it will cycle them, and they fit in the chamber, but i want to be sure. Its a Lakefield mk II if that helps. thanks everyone

NO!!! in a .22 rifle barrel, the shape of the chamber is made to accomidate the longer case, as you know the case is slightly larger than the diameter of the bullets. so, when you put in the short, when the gun fires not only will the firing pin probably not reach the round, but also the bullet will hit the sides of the chamber, ruining all rifling and probably the gun, also it may be dangerous. gas is no totally funneled out the barrel, some might come back at your face.

Comment

thats why i didnt try it, thanks

Comment

A remington .22 riffle I used to have hand .22 long and .22 short writen on the barrel so it could shootboth. It is the same caliper bullet just that the shell is shorter. The only problem I had with it was that it was a bolt action with a tube magazine. every once and a while it would send 2 shells out and jamb it.

Comment

Evspence,

I don't quite follow your description. The .22 cartridge case headspaces from the rim. The rim diameter on all .22 LR, long, short, CB, etc. is the same. The chamber is "deeper" on a rifle intened to shoot longer rounds like the .22 LR. The .22 short will not slide further into the chamber. In a rifle which is chambered and recommended by the factory to shoot all of the .22 short, long and long rifle family, the short just has some extra lead before contacting the rifling, much the same as how Weatherby chambers their rifles.

The correst answer is that if the rifle is not stamped as suitable for .22 shorts, etc don't shoot them in it. As with most factory warranty language, if you shoot a short you violate the warranty, even though it should not harm the rifle.

I own 8 .22 rifles, the older rifles are stamped for the most part to accept the whole clan (no .22 mag of course). The newer rifles are only stamped to accept .22LR. As shorts have fallen out of favor and lawyers have become more in fashion factories have tightened up their allowables.

If you read a new warranty you will note that shooting reloaded ammo will also violate the warranty on most shotguns and centerfire rifles...

Comment

Beekeeper hits the nail on the head.....

Comment

i agree with beekeeper, he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Can you shoot 22 Short in a Bolt Action 22 Long Rifle?? You bet!!
                It will feed from the magazine only if it’s designed to and if not you must load shorts and longs one at a time. Had an Old Stevens Auto that shot Sorts, Long and Long Rifle. When not shooting Long Rifle, you had to push the bolt lever in to lock it.
                For a bolt action loading shorts and longs one at a time, I wouldn’t give it an extra thought! It would be like shooting 38 Special in a 357 Magnum

Comment

hmm, well the bolt locks up, loads and ejects them fine.
                  the rifle is stamped .22 LR only. i really dont care about the warranty, i just dont want to do anything dangerous. it was only 70 bucks, so maybe ill see if i can pick up an old cheapo that shoots em all. im not interested in pinpoint accuracy at long ranges, just want to whack some critters round the house..

Comment

If you feed them in one at a time you wont have a problem I do this with my 22 to take care of gophers in my backyard, but I would'nt do it unless you only put one in the pipe becuase they wont feed from your clip

Comment

bolt locks up, loads and ejects them fine? I'd go for it and don't force the bolt closed during cycling the next round.

Comment

well, ill give it a shot i think..

Comment

My 62a Win has stamped right on the barrel ".22 s,l lr".
                          I can mix shorts and long rifle ammo with no feeding problems.

Comment

Bee pretty well wrapped this one up complete with a bow. My old Marlin 39s are all marked s, l, lr and both will shoot any combination thereof. However although I am certain that you can fire any length .22 rimfire except magnum in your Lakefield I would suggest only utilizing whatever is stamped on the barrel.

Comment

By the way there are no dumb questions regarding guns and safety. Sometimes we might give dumb answers but usually first rate replies.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by PigHunter
                                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                                Today, 06:44 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                                Today, 06:35 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X