Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all you military guys out there: Why do military snipers use 168 gr. bullets in .308 win/ 7.62 NATO / 7.62x51 mm instead of,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll tell you why velocity isn't that important. Wind, sectional density, ballistic coefficient. Light bullets suck, heavy wins. Military does it right, they know.

Comment

Good answer Jeff4066 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

They don't use 168gr ammunition. The current standard .308 sniper round is a Sierra 175 grain boat tail open tip bullet. It is not a hollow point. The open tip is the result of part of the manufacturing process. It is loaded by Lake City and can be purchased on the open market as the M118 LR. I shoot them successfully out to 1200 yards. The 168 grain bullet looses its reliability for accurate hits between 700 and 800 yards.

Comment

M118 - 173gr FMJBT 7.62 MM @ 2550 FPs was the original sniper ammo, later on circa 1974/5 M852 = military 7.62 brass and loading it with the Sierra 168gr Match King bullet, then in the early 1980s M852 was adopted for match use only. Because the Sierra Match King (SMK) bullet had a hollow tip as a byproduct of production, it was not regarded at the time as being acceptable for combat use in terms of abiding by the Laws of Land Warfare. The M118 was redesignated the M118 ‘Special Ball’, or SB, and was the authorized ammo for combat use by snipers. In the early 1990’s the M852 was approved for combat use, however a new version of the M118, the M118LR was being developed whice used the 175gr Match King.

The correct answer is time dependent 173, 168 or 175 can all be correct. I retired before the 175 became official but I knew of its development.

Comment

The question was 168 grain vs. 150. That's all. Jim in Missouri stuck to the question on the same principle that led to the adoption of the .50 cal for unique sniping applications. We've come a long way since my sniper school/jungle training in Panama (before we deposed Pizza Face).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad