Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all you military guys out there: Why do military snipers use 168 gr. bullets in .308 win/ 7.62 NATO / 7.62x51 mm instead of,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all you military guys out there: Why do military snipers use 168 gr. bullets in .308 win/ 7.62 NATO / 7.62x51 mm instead of,

To all you military guys out there: Why do military snipers use 168 gr. bullets in .308 win/ 7.62 NATO / 7.62x51 mm instead of, say, 150 gr? Is there a particular reason? Which do you prefer?

Actually there are two weights preferred, for Civilians the 168 Hollow Point Boat tail and the Military Special Ball M118 round which is a 172 grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail is my favorite for wind at the 600 yards line and my #1 bullet at 1000 yards.

Ballistic Coefficient and accuracy is everything!

Comment

Palma Matches use 308’s with 155 grain bullet and barrel twist at 1-11 and it’s all done at the 1000 yard line!

Comment

Clay stole my thunder but he's right. Snipers and competition teams don't care if the bullet has less velocity than a lighter bullet, they want accuracy. As long as they know the distance them boys can dial the rifle in.

Comment

These guys are trained to know exact bullet drop to less than an inch at any given range, so velocity isn't a problem for them at all. The heaviest bullet in any given caliber generally has the highest BC.

Comment

If velocity isn't a problem, then why don't they use a heavier bullet like a 250 grain or better yet a 45-70 trap door!

Ballistic coefficient + maximum velocity (best trajectory without excessive recoil) + accuracy = One Less Bad Guy!

Comment

150 grain Hornaday interlocks is all that my .308 ever sees, nothing else is necessary.

Comment

At least during my service, all sniper ammunition was hand loaded at the unit. There was to be no inconsistency or the civilian +- 5%.

The "default" load also has changed with the weapons/barrels used. As stated, it's a balance of velocity/energy. Remember, not all shots happen at 1000 yards. The trick is to know exactly where the round hits at any range.

Comment

A couple of the guys have it right, JL it comes down to the ballistic coefficience,velocity,and what was told to me "terminal impact", basicly what the bullet does to the target upon impact. The 168gr.bthp(boat-tail hollow point)increases it's surface impact area by a factor that keeps increasing until unable to respond. Basicly it keeps getting bigger until it can't. So you start with a bullet .308 of an inch across that ends up being a little over .5 of inch across. Like getting hit with the core of a golf ball going 200mph in the head. Hope this helps.

Comment

Big O

Better go back and review your source of your info Sir

Clay Cooper,
                    USAF Air Force High Power Team 2nd Generation

Comment

Stick with that load!!!

Comment

Hornaday TAP 168 gr BTHP. it the best deer round ever made

Comment

Sorry Mr. Cooper just passing on "round figures" not facts, though I did a micromiter check on two 168gr.bthp that I've used on deer and they came out almost at .5 in. One was .437 the other was .426, just tryin' to be helpful.

Comment

thats just the way the come out of the machine without any alterations. simply cost effective.

Comment

ok now that i read your posts you guys are gunna shoot thousands of little .308 holes in that theory, but hey, i probably don't know as much as Clay, so i'll go with him.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X