Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few weeks ago I shot some 7.62 mm rounds. Can you reload 7.62 mm brass using the same equipment used to reload .308 Win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with DakotaMan answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    Yes you can, but beware that military/7.62 brass will have less interior case capacity than civilian .308 brass. This is not inconsequential. Using a .308 load in 7.62 brass can raise chamber pressures dangerously. Stick to published loads, start with minimum loads, work up from there and watch for pressure signs.

Leave a comment:

• papabear
    replied
    i am a little worried that he is fireing bullets 7.62 in a gun and not knowing that it is the same as a 308 please be careful you can hurt yourself just feeding bullets to a gun not knowing if its right

Leave a comment:

• SBell
    replied
    The rifle being used is a Remington 700 chambered in .308. The rounds that were fired have .08 stamped on the base and were 7.62x51mm. Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I've got some reading to do, but from what I can tell it's a cheaper alternative in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    Hmmm... nobody asked the most obvious question. And while there was some very accurate notes given, sometimes we need to answer the less experienced shooters' questions in english.

That said...
    .308 and 7.62 NATO military are the exact same thing. The military brass may be a tiny hair thicker due to the fact that the brass is made to military specs, while some civilian companies may use "enough to get by". The good news is that good Lake City brass will have less or no stretching if loaded normally. I had to trim very few cases, and that was probably brass loaded 10 times or more.

Also, (now the question) you didn't specify the rifle/round being used. There's a zillion AK/SKS style rifles out there, and even a Ruger that uses the 7.62x39 chicom round. These are not reloadable with .308 equipment.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Thanks Shane... I meant 7.62x51 for the .308.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Ok this is what you need to know from the COOP!

Yes you can reload 7.62x51 or 7.62 NATO with the exact same reloading dies you us for a 308 Winchester and you don’t have to change nothing in you die setting period!

Other than swaging the primer pocket and reducing your powder charge by 1 ½ grains the remander of the reloading is the same. I prefer same lot Lake City Military Match cases over commercial any day. Make sure they all are the same head stamp and stay away from Berdan Primed cases.

MUST GO TO!

http://surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/berdanreloading/index.asp

Reduce your powder charge by one and one half (1 ½) grains to compensate for the heavier case then work back up.

As with any other cartridge you will need a case trimmer to trim the case to recommend overall length and primer pocket swagger.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=880694

RCBS AmmoMaster Single Stage Press Primer Pocket Swager Combo
    Product #:
    Out of Stock, Backorder OK
    Our Price:
    $44.99

This is the case trimmer I use, just remove the handle and use a variable speed drill in place.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=715371

RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer
    Product #:
    Available
    Our Price:
    $86.99

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    If you are talking about the 7.62x51, then you can use the same everyting to reload them both.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Also, military 7.62x51mm brass has thicker case walls so less case capacity than consumer brass. Could lead to different pressures. Military brass has crimped primers that have to be dealt with, and the primer pockets need to be reamed. I'd stick with reloading only .308Win cases to eliminate potential mix-ups. Same goes for 5.56x45mm and .233Rem.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    .308 is 7.62x51, not 61.

Leave a comment:

• Reid Jones
    replied
    if i'm correct, you only need a new die.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Dakotaman said it well. Get a reloading manual and read it a couple times. Most bullet and gunpowder companies print one. Hornaday and Hodgdon's are 2 that are very good. They will explain all you need to know for reloading. It's fun but very serious stuff. Screw up and you can blow the action on a good gun or worse.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    This is a common question. Let's see if I can help... The 7.62MM refers to the metric diameter of the bullet itself and says nothing about the brass case that holds the bullet. 7.62MM is the metric equivalent of .308 inches. For example, a .308 Winchester uses 7.62MM diameter bullets. That is why the military version of the .308 is called the 7.62x61MM or just plain 7.62 NATO. A 7.62x63MM is the military name for the 30-06. The 7.62x39MM may be what you shot. It is commonly used in Russion and European military rifles and assault weapons like the AK47 or SKS. The second number in these metric cartige names refers to the length of the brass case that holds the bullet. As you can see they are all different. A 7.62MM diameter bullet can be used to reload any of the .30 caliber cartriges like the .308, 30-06, 300 Winchester Magnum, etc. because they all take the same diameter bullets. However you can only reuse your brass for reloading the same cartrige as you originally shot. Take a look at the designation stamped on the case head and it should tell you which variety you have. You can only use brass stamped .308 Winchester or 7.62x61 for use in a .308. The 7.62x61 case is actually just a hair longer than the .308 Winchester at the shoulder but when you push it into a .308 Winchester full length sizer die, it will crunch the shoulder down to the right length for a .308 Winchester chamber. If you are shooting some other cartrige, you can obtain reloading dies for that cartrige and reload just like any other rifle cartrige.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    You can use the brass,and rounds, but must get different re-load dies I think, checking w/ gunsmith at this time, back soon.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    I am not sure, and I know nothing about reloading. But, the 7.62mm is a .308 so I don't see why not. Some of the other guys on here will know.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad