Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok so the other day my dad was saying he could hit a nickel edgewise from 100 yards with his 223. i didn't belive him so he did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    We are going to try that next time on Camp!!!

Leave a comment:

• blackdawgz
    replied
    Also, not a problem for the McMillan/Fisher .50 BMG. One-hole groups are typical. But with such a large bullet, that would be cheating.

Leave a comment:

• blackdawgz
    replied
    I could if I still had my T/C Encore pistol .22-250 with the T/C scope.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    Not quite 100 yards, I think, but my Grandad used to stick a kitchen match in a .22 shell, then sit on the porch and light it. I spent a lot of money on shells before I did it with my Marlin .22.

This was the same rifle he regularly controlled the bluejay population in the gardens. He covered his entire property while sitting on the steps with a cup of coffee and a pack of smokes.

So many of these stories are from the "old crowd". He spoke of how HIS daddy had to budget for a box of shells each year. Where he was raised, people who couldn't shoot didn't get meat.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    That is a man who knows exactly where his bullet is goin'. Nice shot.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkfin
    replied
    Come on Clay, let this kid idolize his Dad just a little while longer. We lose that too quickly. At least his Dad didn't act like it was a superior feat. He was honest. Everybody here knows you can pierce a running jack rabbit's ears at 1000 yards with one hand while tucking your red cape in your pants with the other.

Clay, I'm just giving you a hard time man! Please don't take me too seriously.

Leave a comment:

• auburn_hunter
    replied
    Don't know if I can do it, but like Dr Mike said, can't hurt to try!

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Great shot! I couldn't do it at 5 yds.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    That may be fine from the bench, what can he do at 1000 YARDS!

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    I always have to prove to my friends when they don't believe me that I can hit quarters across a football field, but I'm not so sure if I could split a nickel edgewise on the fist shot. That's pretty impressive.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    With a powerful scope and a good barrel on your AR15, that's not an extremely difficult shot. I can do it.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    I wish my eyes were that good. Sounds like you're a lucky guy to have a Dad that not only can shoot but takes the time to involve you and teach you what you need to know. Don't forget to tell him thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I'd probably hit the rock the coin was sitting on and lose 5 cents. Regardless I do have a neighbor that can cut a nickel plus shoot any hand tossed coin down to dimes out of the air with a rimfire or centerfire handgun or rifle. You can even call heads or tails and somehow he shoots the called side more than 50% of the time. The guy travels a lot in his work so I don't get to shoot with him very much. The next opportunity I have I intend to video this shooting event so you guys can see it. He makes Tom Knapp's shooting appear almost average. He is the greatest offhand shot I have ever had the priviledge of watching. I once witnessed him shoot a 5 gallon plastic bucket twice that we placed 700 yards away using a Marlin .45-70. He can burst eggs in the air with the same gun. I know this all sounds like lies and I would have felt the same way except I have seen him do it numerous times. Oddly enough he is not more than average as a game shot. Yeah your dad is definately a good shot.

Leave a comment:

• DrMike
    replied
    WOW! Never seen it done edgewise. Looks like we just got a new game to play at camp.

Leave a comment:

• KingFisher907
    replied
    I havnt personally tried it, but I watched a guy do it with quarters one time...your dad is a good shot will

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad