Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering most any diameter bullet I generally prefer one that offers penetration moreso than expansion. Certainly both featu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• blackdawgz
    replied
    BC and muzzle velocity go together like hand in glove. I like the heaviest bullets I can get for any diameter, knowing they perform best downrange. That is what drives me to select the .30-378. There is a huge bullet selection, including boattails, and it slows the muzzle velocity back into a range that will not burn the barrel out.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I too like a high B.C., but have discovered no matter what I like, sometimes the rifle dictates what it likes. All things being equal, I use Barnes Triple Shock. No idea how many animals I've taken using this bullet, everything from 243 to 416 Rigby. Small animals to large. Animals shot with this bullet don't seem to need tracking. However, the longish bearing surface doesn't leave a lot of seating depth flexibility in some cartridges.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    DakotaMan No doubt you noticed that a year ago Bergers were half the cost of what they are today. They must be paying for all those TV ads. Also if you select the Hornady A-max in 165 gr to 190 gr your BC is about the same as a Berger VLD. I get similiar velocities and accuracy with each in 7 mm 162 vs 168 gr.

Jim in MO Just as a matter of interest guess what Frank Hamer's rifle was chambered for when he went looking for the Barrows.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Penetration, except for varmints and target. High BC is nice, as is high SD, but I usually start by picking a reasonable bullet weight range for the caliber and then figuring out which bullet the gun and I like the best. I usually don't load for more than one bullet/load per gun. Takes too much time and twiddling around. Would rather just get a bigger caliber or smaller caliber if I want to change the bullet weight.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I generally agree with good penetration but that being said, I usually am not hunting with the highest BC bullet out there simply because it isn't necessary. In my .300 Dakota, the Berger 210 grain has a very high BC and will really penetrate. However, why should I pay $50 for a box of bullets when a $20 box of 165 grain Hornadys will go completely throught any deer I shoot. Also, if I am hunting prairie dogs, I want a fragile bullet. Now if I were shooting an elk or moose, I'd pay a little more for the best penetration possible but I don't really shoot too many of them.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Sure I can see a reason and it's simply that I occasionaly like seeing the different reaction a deer has when shot with my 35 Rem vs my most often used '06.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Del actually I am referring to BC since this in the simplest sense is how streamlined the bullet is shaped. Its the ratio of a bullet's sectional density to its coefficient of form. Usually this works out to be in the mid to upper weight limits of any diameter of bullets. High BC bullets might also not be used if they have to be seated to deeply in the cartridge to fit you magazine. Some guns might not shoot them accurately for known or unknown reasons. All in all high BC high penetrating bullets are always my choice except for some varmint rifles and the over .40 rifles.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    I'm with you guys the only time you don't want/need penetration is on varmints/coyotes, or in a airplane at altitude(LOL). Got to love a good blood trail because it gives you confidence in your shot placement.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    The only reason I can see to shoot a bullet that doesn't penetrate well is varmint/coyote hunting. I shoot the Horndady Vmax in my .243. It blows up on almost anything and I hunt in areas where bullets skipping around the landscape in not a good thing. Not that it ever is.

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    I'm with Del I like a heavely constructed bullet such as Nosler and resently started shootin Barnes, despite the rummers of bad accuarcy my 7WBY shot its best group yet. Like said above from Del I like a bullet that hits with a ton of energy and leaves a good exit wound

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    I only shoot my own reloads. These loads are tailored for the type critter being hunted. Nosler Partitions and Barnes triple X's are my usual bullet of choice. Ish, don't you mean a high SD? A lightly made bullet could have a high BC and not penetrate well. Anyway I'm with you on penetration. A good exit wound be it arrow or bullet is a good thing. Give me a blood trail Ray Charles could follow evey time.

Leave a comment:

• Considering most any diameter bullet I generally prefer one that offers penetration moreso than expansion. Certainly both featu

Considering most any diameter bullet I generally prefer one that offers penetration moreso than expansion. Certainly both features in the same bullet are best if you can locate one that will perform throughout the required spectrum of time and space. Excluding dangerous game up close do you see any reason to shoot anything but a bullet with a high BC?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad