Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.280 or .270? I say .280 all the way. Shoot me. It seems like only me and like 2 gun writers agree on that one. What's better an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .280 or .270? I say .280 all the way. Shoot me. It seems like only me and like 2 gun writers agree on that one. What's better an

.280 or .270? I say .280 all the way. Shoot me. It seems like only me and like 2 gun writers agree on that one. What's better and why?

I like the .280 too Shane, but have only had the opp. to shoot one a couple of times, they do kill deer slap dead though.

Comment

Ballistic twins, I've shot both for years, just have to be sure I'm taking the right ammo with the right rifle. Both are excellent choices for almost anything. Also in spite of what some writers say a .280 AI is not equal to a 7 mag of any kind.

Comment

I only know what I have read about the .280 and the comparisons between the two. Seems to be a matter of personal preference for the most part. I do love my .270 but that doesn't mean I think it's better.
        What is it that you like more about the .280?

Comment

The only advantage is not a ballistic one. The .280 is available in far fewer factory offerings than the .270. For a handloader, i think the .280 is widely preferred. For non-handloaders, the .270 may be better because of more choices and more affordable offerings.

Comment

Right on steve, they will kill exactly the same, if you like vanilla icecream choose the .270, if you are a tripple fudge swirl dip kind of guy go for the .280.

Comment

Why the .280? Bigger hole, a few heavier bullets available, not a .270.

Comment

I would choose a 280, but I'm also a handloader. ish is correct about the AI not being a 7mag. Of the different loading manuals I have, at best you'll get 75fps. And yet some writers want to claim near 200. Thats hard to swallow.

Comment

my 280rem is a ruger #1B--very nice rifle. good shooter (I reload) use Hornady sst 154 gr bullets and H4350 powder---Federal 210M primer and Remmington bras. Great gun for those long shots from a deer blind.

Comment

If you like hard to find ammo knock yourself out!

280 or 7mm Mouser whatever!!

30-06 will eat its lunch!!! LOL

Comment

I like the .280 also. It is more versatile for the handloader in my opinon due to the large number of very good 7mm bullets out there. I'll stay away from the 7mm AI though.

Comment

Both great calibers. The animals I've shot with both couldn't tell the difference between the two. Like the wider variety of bullets in the 280, but as Clay mentioned, the ammo can be harder to find than the 270. At home no big deal, but for sure can be a pain in a far away place.

Comment

.280 All The Way!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad