Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't know if my first post went thru I have a 44 mag Marlin lever action what is the correct ammo to use deer hunting with 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if my first post went thru I have a 44 mag Marlin lever action what is the correct ammo to use deer hunting with 10

I don't know if my first post went thru I have a 44 mag Marlin lever action what is the correct ammo to use deer hunting with 100 to 175 yards.

I've never used a .44 mag for deer hunting, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't use that gun to hunt at 100-175 yds. You simply don't have ample speed and energy to reliably make kill shots at that distance. Clay, Bee, Del?

Comment

you should be fine out to 100 yards, I would get some Buffalo Bores in a 240 or 260 grain you might also want to look at the Win Partion load. If you go to there web sites you can get the balistics for both loads. Hope this helps

Comment

Keep it within 100, maybe 75.
        I keep my marlin 35 Rem within 125.

Comment

I have only shot 2 buck deer and 1 buck antelope with a .44 mag using an Old Model Ruger cut back to 4 5/8" so your velocities would be somewhere greater than mine. Nevertheless I chrony 1450 fps with a hard cast 265 gr. with a wide meplat. I had complete penetration of every animal but all were shot within 100 yards or less. One mule deer buck was hit three times, once through the both front shoulders, once from left rear hip through right front shoulder as he was leaving, and the the finale because he was still trying to get up. That was one tough sucker as all bullets were reasonable placed although vital bones or joints were not hit. The other buck and the antelope were one shot kills but the antelope had previously been shot in the leg by someone else. I had seen no one all morning and had heard no shot so decided I had better finish him off. The outcome of all this is I believe I could make a 175 yard kill with your rifle with a similiar or hotter load but I would certainly practice a lot before trying. In reality I would be a bit hesitant to shoot over 100 yards without first proving to myself that I could make an ethical shot in addition to calculating the remaining energy at that range. I don't know any factory loaded .44 ammo to recommend other than I am aware that idduckhntr is right about Buffalo Bore as I have seen them drop elk within 100 yards from a Redhawk. Shoot until you can put 4 or 5 rounds consistently into a paper plate at 100-150 yards every time. I can do it at 100 with a .44 pistol or rifle and so can you if you practice. Then just keep extending to see what you can do from there. Also bear in mind that I hunt in mostly wide open country so this is a bit more forgiving for long shots than the thick timber.

Comment

These guys are right. 175 way is too far for .44 mag, and 100 is about the limit.

Comment

I've never shot one with a rifle(.44) but have used a pistol and kept it under 50yds. so if I were you I'd keep it under 100yds. Hope this helps, Good Luck and Good hunting.

Comment

The rifle will give you more velocity and the bullet as noted above certainly will do the job at that didtance but here is the catch. Any 44 call bulet will arc like a mortar round at 175 yds. The problem is being able to put the bullet where you need it. If you use a rangefinder, know your chosen bullets trajectory and practice, practice, practice it can be done. However, you owe the game a quick, humane end. There is too much chance for a wounding shot beyond 100 or so yds. Because of that I wouldn't do it. Get a 30-30 or simular round for that distance (if it has to be a lever gun).

Comment

Del said what I was trying to say, only he did it much better. I guess that's why I was asking for help on that one. The mortar analogy was very good.

Comment

Agreed with idduckhntr answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad