Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you clean the bore of your rifle, is the first shot after you clean it usually off a little?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you clean the bore of your rifle, is the first shot after you clean it usually off a little?

When you clean the bore of your rifle, is the first shot after you clean it usually off a little?

Not only the first shot maybe off, I find the first 2 and on the 3rd, it's settled down for accuracy. But for hunting, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Only in High Power Competition I always shot 5 fouling shots before the match, 2 to knock out residue and 3 for function and accuracy check.

Comment

I have not had that problem, but I clean my guns on a 3 month basis instead of everytime I shoot so I may shoot with a fouled barrel a lot before it gets cleaned depending on how much I use a particular gun.

Comment

I clean my 30-30 after every deer season or after popping off a few rounds. The Hoppes Bore Snake is a quick and efficient way to clean your barrels.

Comment

Always. Mine also settle down after 2-3 fouling shots are fired. I have also had one rifle that would only shoot well when clean. After 20 rounds, groups opened dramatically. Had the bore lapped and problem solved.

Comment

Yes, but I'm not a frequent cleaner (don't tell my old drill sergeant). People tend to over-lube when they clean every time.

Comment

Affirmative. That is why it is a good idea to fire a fouler shot or two before going hunting with a rifle that has been cleaned.

Comment

your gun will NEVER shoot where it was sighted in for after you clean the barrel, thats why its a no no before and during hunting season unless you plan on heading to the range againl

Comment

I never do a thorough cleaning during the season for this reason. After the season or when I won't be shooting for awhile I'll clean very good.

Comment

Point of impact may change as much as an inch or so after a thorough cleaning with something like CR-10 which gets all the copper out. My Rem Sendero is the worst taking an average of 23 shots to get back to its outstanding long range prairie dog accuracy after such a cleaning. With less aggressive solvents, 3 shots should get you back in hunting shape. I don't clean my rifle aggressively during hunting season unless I am having a problem with fouling which is rare.

Comment

My 300 Win has that problem. Its off by 2" first shot but after that I can put 5 shots into a inch till I clean it again. Before I hunt I always take it out a day or two before and shoot a fouling shot and have never had a problem with accuracy during the hunt.

Comment

The oil and solvent will through it off some, usually not enough to worry about in a hunting situation. If it bothers you, run a couple of dry patches through the barrel the night before a hunt and you will be fine.

Comment

Even if thoroughly mop the barrel dry after cleaning the first 1,2,or 3 shots might off target, I have a cheap box of ammo that I use to (burn) the barrel out after cleaning, especially if you are sighting in your gun don't count the first couple of shots even though it will not effect it that much it is still a good idea to make sure your barrel is dry before shooting it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad