Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have shot both belted and non-belted cartridges for decades with equal satisfaction and functionality. I was not aware that b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have shot both belted and non-belted cartridges for decades with equal satisfaction and functionality. I was not aware that b

I have shot both belted and non-belted cartridges for decades with equal satisfaction and functionality. I was not aware that belted rounds don't headspace properly and feed less reliabily until people began saying it about a decade ago. I know the reasons for their statements, do you?

i've never heard that. why is that?

Comment

ish,
      I've heard the same as you but I forget the basis for those statements. Hear is what Lymans manual #47 says.
      'The belted magnum case tries to incorporate the easy headspacing of a rimmed cartridge with the easy feeding from a box magazine of the rimless case. It first saw light when the abilities of firearm and ammunition manufacturers to hold tight tolerences were still being perfected'.

Comment

I have seen signs of case stretching (bright ring just ahead of the belt) in belted magnum cases. Especially one 7mm Rem I had that was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. It would put 5 not 3 but 5 into one hole at 100 yds. Go figure. Never had problems with belted cases feeding. My 6mmX284 Win wouldn't feed until the 'smith did some work on it.

Comment

As far as I know, the point of the belt is to ensure proper headspacing, and also to prevent similar rounds from chambering (see .450 Marlin and .45-70). So I don't see what these people's problems are. Bad reloads?

I can see them feeding a little less smoothly than similar non-belted cases, but the headspacing should never be a problem, if no one does anything stupid.

Comment

Military sniper teams still like the .300 mag.

Comment

I think all of you guys are right. I also believe that the real reason is that many people have read enough latest greatest ads and inaccurate articles supporting short fat mags, Ultras, Dakotas, etc with no belt and believe that they are substancially superior to the older belted mags than many of us already use. In fact I have an Ultra and it feeds no better or worse than my belted magnums. Jack Lott didn't worry about the belt when he improved the .458 Win Mag, he just made it longer. It worked then and it works now.

Comment

Saying the .458 Lott works then and now is an understatement! The .458 Win worked, and the .458 Lott...that thing is brutal from both ends of the rifle. If you have something that can bangflop an elephant, you have a serious cartridge on your hands.

Comment

People and their silly ideas. If there is a problem with belted rounds, explain why they are so popular and deadly. Some belted magnums have some of the best track records a cartridge can have. Can anyone say .338 Win Mag?

Comment

There are a couple of differences with the belted cartriges. They DO head space on the belt rather than on the shoulder of the cartriges like beltless cartriges do. Theoretically, this allows a little wobble room for the cartrige up toward the business end. Some say like trying to hold your pencil from the eraser and write. Secondly, the belt creates a wide spot in the magazine where the belts stack up and this can jerk around a little as the cartrige advances during loading. Really not a serious problem with either... in my experience, NOTHING slides out of the magazine or extracts smoother than a .375 H&H. As far as accuracy, if the bullet is centered in the case neck, it holds the cartrige on center so we are really NOT writing with a pencil eraser. As long as they shoot sub-MOA, you can't argue they are not accurate. I shoot a .300 Dakota and a .375 H&H. The .300 Dakota accuracy is OUTSTANDING but that did not prevent me from buying the .375. Don't let that little belt bother you... if you like the cartrige, buy it... you will be happy.

Comment

If you neck size your belted magnum, wouldn't you be head space off the belt and the shoulder? Wouldn't want to mix the rounds with another rifle of the same caliber, so for hunting probably not a good idea. I'm not a target shooter, just a hunter.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                          Today, 11:19 AM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to More Bad News....
                          by bowhunter75richard
                          WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                          Today, 11:12 AM
                        • More Bad News....
                          by WA Mtnhunter
                          My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                          07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by rock rat
                          Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                          Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X