Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever had any chamber loading issues with the short fat cartriges? Occassionally, when I am excited and reloading quic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever had any chamber loading issues with the short fat cartriges? Occassionally, when I am excited and reloading quic

Has anyone ever had any chamber loading issues with the short fat cartriges? Occassionally, when I am excited and reloading quickly with a bolt action, I will feel the sharp shoulder of the short fat magnum cartrige hit the edge of the chamber as the bullet slides up from the magazine. They just don't seem to me to load as slick as something like a 30-06 or a .375 H&H.; Comment?

There is a reason that the H & H and the '06 cases are shaped in the configuration you see and it was well thought out. The designers, among other advances and improvements over previous cartridges, wanted a reliable feeding round. The former was mainly thought of as a dangerous game cartridge and for medium to large game depending on neck size. The long slender case ensured smooth feeding as well as ease of loading kynoch. The latter absolutely had to feed well because it was intended to go to war which it did many times during the ensueing decades probably with as much if not more aplomb than any round before or since. It has long been know, even before any of us were born, that short fat rounds with sharp shoulders do not feed particularily well in comparision. Short of ascertaining that all short mag cases are sized correctly and that your rifle is free of defects plus maybe "smoothed up" (such as polishing the ramp and rails plus making certain the magazine spring is of adequate strength) by a knowledgeable and skilled gunsmith, you just have to live with what you have selected. I suppose another option is to sell it or trade for a similiar standard mag or a conventional cartridge with a proven reliability record. Even thought I say this it does not mean I would not consider a short mag for myself although never a super short. I have not owned any short mag but at least two of them seem reasonably reliable from the feeding standpoint, are sufficiently accurate, and pack a wallop. Actually the main reason that I would give them consideration is more on account of the rifle for which they are chambered rather than the cartridge itself. Yep I'm still liking that Nosler .270 WSM which I mentioned a week or so ago. But then Kimber makes a nice rifle in .270 Win, the Sako 85 is appealing, maybe one of those new FN M-70's. There are lots of choices nowadays not including something I might have a smith piece togather.

Comment

have owned a win model 70 in 300wsm since they came out . Never had any feeding troubles with my reloads. some people have trouble with barrels that copper up, never had that trouble either. mine must have been made after dinner on monday. Its one fine rifle.

Comment

I've got a gunsmith buddy and he said that he's had a few come through. Like ishawooa said just get the action "slicked up" and that should solve your problems.
        Good luck and Good hunting !

Comment

loading issues with the short fat cartriges/

I rest my case! LOL!!!

Comment

You're right, and this adds to the list of why the old magnums are the best magnums.

On the other hand, like ish said, the .270 WSM is tempting, as is the .325 WSM.

Comment

I have a friend from back east who comes to Wyoming or Colorado every year to hunt elk. He mainly shoots a Kimber in .325 for everything bigger than a jackrabbit. He bang-flopped (dang now I'm saying it) a good bull last year which was the 3rd or 4th one this gun has brought down. The range on the last wapiti was 427 yards with two shots since he missed the first one (I count misses). This guy has no complaints at all in any way about his short fat cartridge and short fat bullet. Sort of goes against everything I say about that ammo family, go figure.

Comment

Thanks guys... looks like I kind of teed one up for the short fat discussion. I appreciate Ish's great post... wish I could give it more plus's. I don't really notice the problem to the point I would quit hunting with it but I seriously would not hunt dangerous game with it because of this occassional malfunction.

Comment

That is one of the chief complaints about the short and squat rounds, rough feeding.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad