Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the recoil on a 25-06 even noticeable? while shooting a deer AND while shooting targets. it seems like you notice recoil a li

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the recoil on a 25-06 even noticeable? while shooting a deer AND while shooting targets. it seems like you notice recoil a li

is the recoil on a 25-06 even noticeable? while shooting a deer AND while shooting targets. it seems like you notice recoil a little more when you're target practicing

It's noticeable in that you can tell there is some, but it's insignificant. You could probably shoot one all day, even in target practice, without any pain. You're right that recoil is worse on the bench.

Comment

What recoil!

If my 9 Year old Grandson can handle it, so can you!

He is a very lightly built and recoil sensitive

25-06 is the loudest dry fire rifle I own!!

Comment

You definitely notice recoil a lot less when the adrenaline is pumping. I have only shot a 25-06 once and it had very little recoil even at the bench. That tends to lead to more practice which leads to more backstraps. Yum.

Comment

thanks. yeah i want a rifle that does not kick. i can take more kick than anybody my age. i would gladly shoot a 300 win mag off the bench. but i like shooting flat rifles with minimal kick

Comment

the diff is the thrill of the hunt

Comment

The .25-'06 or the .270 sounds like the type of rifle you describe as wanting. Frankly you probably could use either one from now on and be happy. Recoil is minimal a others have stated, flat trajectory, adequate bullet weight and shape choices, will easily kill up to elk sized animals. Although I prefer "bigger" guns either one of these would make me content for almost everything I hunt which is about the same animals as everyone else.

Comment

There are recoil charts that show the difference among cartriges but for practical comparison, I shoot targets and prairie dogs with a 25-06 that has a 27 inch varmint barrel that weighs 6 pounds. With heavy stock and a big scope, that rig comes in right at about 12 pounds in all. I shoot hundreds of rounds in my T-shirt with no noticable feel of or reaction to recoil. I have even put the recoil pad up to my chin and shot it to see if I could feel the recoil... I felt it a little but it wasn't bad. On the other hand, I have a Weatherby featerweight in 25-06 that comes in at about 6 1/2 pounds with scope, full magazine and sling. With 75 and 87 grain loads, I can feel some recoil and would never consider putting it up to my chin. With hot 100 grain deer loads, it kicks a little, kind of like a .243. My fairly skinny wife shot it from her hip and it bruised her hip a little. At that recoil level, you want to be in good position with the rifle firmly against your shoulder but if held correctly you won't mind the recoil. The recoil isn't a bother shooting 20-50 shots in a sitting but after a 100 or so at the range, you may have a sore shoulder. With hot 120 grain elk bullets, it begins to feel like a .270 and does have recoil. You don't want to shoot too many more than 20-30 in a target session and you just might bruise your shoulder if you don't hold it right. If I put that rifle and 120 grain load up to my chin, I suspect I would be knocked unconscious. The beauty of the 25-06, unlike the .270 and larger calibers is that it has extremely light recoil for the killing power it has. I don't shoot a .270 or any larger calibers at prairie dogs for that main reason... they have too much recoil and they wear you out if you are going to be shooting hundreds of rounds in a day. You begin flinching because of the subconscious threat of recoil and it can cause you to miss those 400 yard shots. If you are mainly just hunting deer and shooting 20 rounds a year, it won't make too much difference what you shoot... however, you will notice that the .243 and the 25-06 will have minimal recoil among deer class rifles and with them you won't think about recoil, even at the range. You are absolutely right, you feel recoil a LOT more at the range with target shooting becuase that is all you have to think about. When a wall hanger buck is loping through the trees, I have seen people that couldn't even remember whether they shot or not let alone what the recoil felt like... adrenelin is a wonderful thing! If I shoot a 30-06 I feel the recoil is significantly greater than the 25-06 and I don't enjoy shooting most 30-06s at the range unless they are over 9 or 10 pounds in weight. If you don't like the recoil of the gun you are shooting, putting a Limb Saver butt pad on it will significantly reduce felt recoil. I love 'em and have them on all my big rifles. Hope this helps.

Comment

Reid,

Buy the 25/06 and quite worrying about it...

Comment

Agreed with chuckles answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad