Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was sighting in a new rifle, weatherby vanguard stainless sub-moa yesterday and it got me thinking. How long to you guys give

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was sighting in a new rifle, weatherby vanguard stainless sub-moa yesterday and it got me thinking. How long to you guys give

I was sighting in a new rifle, weatherby vanguard stainless sub-moa yesterday and it got me thinking. How long to you guys give the rifle barrel to cool down between shots, if you do this at all. I'm sure there are different heat absorption rates between stainless and regular steel; but do you think these differences have a real effect?

Dang; always wondered why there were so many double posts of questions and somehow I managed to do just that.

Comment

I usually shoot three shot groups then let the gun sit with the bolt open for a couple minutes before resuming when sighting in. Once I feel I have it zeroed I like to come back on another day and shoot a true cold barrel group and make any final adjustments.

Comment

When you are hunting, you shoot from a cold barrel. Let the barrel cool for about 3 minutes between each shot when doing final zeroing.

Comment

One of the guys at 3rd Army marksmanship unit in Ft. Benning told me many years ago take at least 1 minute between shots. Even longer would not be a bad idea. You will find it takes plenty of time to test loads doing this.

Comment

If your sighting in fire three shot groups, let cool down with action open for a few mins. then before season check cold barrel shot. Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

I always wait 1 to 3 minutes on the bench. In the field it don't matter.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that it takes a little longer for stainless to cool down. Other than that, I think everybody else got it covered.

Comment

This is the primary reason that people's rifles shoot differently from one day to the next. I learned it at a big range a few years ago. Old timers would shoot and clear the bench where they were and go away for an hour. This is at a Fall sight-in where the air is cool.

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad