Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye relief is a term you hear thrown about quite often by shooters and hunters. The amount of eye relief a scope provides is oft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye relief is a term you hear thrown about quite often by shooters and hunters. The amount of eye relief a scope provides is oft

Eye relief is a term you hear thrown about quite often by shooters and hunters. The amount of eye relief a scope provides is often the reason (excuse) a shooter uses to decide that one brand of scope is better than another. In a previous post a question was raised as to how much eye relief a certain brand would provide over another. Just for fun here are some comparisons between commonly available 2 X 7 scopes. Names have been changed to protect the guilty... Brand X: Model One 3.1 - 4.1 inches Model Two 3.75 - 5 inches Brand Y: Model One 3.6 - 4.5 inches Model Two 3.8 - 4.9 inches Model Three 3.7 - 4.2 inches Model Four 3.7 - 4.2 inches. It is interesting that in two cases that a lesser priced scope in each line gives more eye relief. The difference between the two brands is quite close! Will an extra 3/10 of an inch in eye relief really make a difference in the real world? Do we as shooter have some built in prejudice against certain brands?

As I said in the previous post to which you refered I have heard conversations regarding the supposed limited eye relief of some brands but have never witnessed any injury induced for that specific reason. Some people do tend to "crawl up the stock" or have physical features which lend them more prone to obtaining the "Weatherby eyebrow" with heavy recoiling rifles. In reality I tend to believe that we as shooters are more likely to have a preference for certain brands.

Comment

We just might. I mean some companies make really good scopes. So good in fact that the hunter will refuse to buy any other brand.

Comment

To be quite honest I dont even look into eye relief when i buy scopes. I mean its not one of the things that will make me pick a scope over another. As for brands I have had a few "cheap" scopes that i will never purchase again, so in a way i am predjudice against those brands.

Comment

I've only used three different scope brands but in each case the way the scope was shaped I had no trouble bringing the scope close but I never can get them comfortably away from my eye, and one rifle in particular has an lop longer than I like.

Comment

With certain large magnums, not having to have your mug right behind the eye piece can be a plus, unless you enjoy blood running down the middle of your face. A large amount of eye relief provided by some scopes also allows for more adjustments on scope placement while still having a proper cheek wield and head placement while shooting your rifle.

Comment

Beekeeper

Until you worked a firing line like I have, you’ll never know

Witnessed allot of scopes on Magnums after a round or two shot became toast. The inside looks like a 10 pound hammer went thru it and not to count how many paper towels shooters take to stop the bleeding

Say what you want but if you have a once in a lifetime and spend all that cash to do something you want something that has the best reputation that works best in that environment without fail!

I wish I had a Buck for every sniveling Hunter back on the range asking for advice and help. I wanted to say, “WE TOLD YOU SO!” instead we dedicate our time to help them so the next Hunt is the best in their life!

Comment

You can have your "HUMMER"!

I'll pick the old and reliable M-38!

Comment

For moderate recoil rifles, most scopes will be within the parameters required making eye relief a non-issue. If we buy a scope for a pistol or a big HEAVY recoil rifle, it is worth noting the eye relief so we don't have issues picking up a sight picture or dealing with our own blood at the range.

Comment

Clay,

You completely missed the gist of my question. I was comparing apples to apples. Look at the numbers...

I wasn't comparing a bargain brand with the high priced leader...

Comment

To answer the question, 3/10 of an inch will not keep you from getting "scoped". When I was in Montana, it was easy to see who shot magnum rifles, just before the season opened. My neighbors had circular cuts around their eyes. I had bought a long eye relief scope for my .375H.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad