Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experiance with Burris scopes? Thinking of putting a 2x7 on my 375HH just wondering if it would hold up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any experiance with Burris scopes? Thinking of putting a 2x7 on my 375HH just wondering if it would hold up.

Does anyone have any experiance with Burris scopes? Thinking of putting a 2x7 on my 375HH just wondering if it would hold up.

I've got one on an in-line muzzleloader, and another was on .454Casull B-78 High Wall. No problems with either. Can't tell you how it holds up to a .375HH, though. I really like their Signature rings (plastic sleeve inside).

Comment

I've got a burris on my .308 and Dad has one on a 7mm Rem mag and they are both fantastic. Burris is supposed to be very resistant to recoil, so I dont see why it would be a problem on your .375

Comment

Burris scopes are fine scopes, but after 4 solid years as Range Master for the most busiest range in Alaska assisting new an d old alike getting there firearms setup, I strictly sold for the biggest bang for the buck is Leupold hands down! Sure, you can by the top of the line car like a Bugatti Veyron with a hefty price tag of $1,700,000. I do know firsthand what the 375 H&H can do and the punishment it can dish out!

By the way,

What the hell you need a 375 H&H for!

Comment

PS

I really don't think the Burris will have the eye relief of the Leupold

Comment

I should have bought stock in paper towels for all the ones I handed out to those shooters with inadequate eye relief.

OUCH!

THAT DREW BLOOD!

Comment

I have two that are great but they are made in USA. Some Burris scopes are now being assembled in Philippines so watch what you buy. I will.

Comment

Why a .375? Why not! Good times.

I haven't seen or used any of the ones made recently, but the ones from about a decade ago are solid as a rock.

Comment

I have never owned a Burris but several of my hunting associates use them all the time. The short eye relief problem has been brought up in conversation but I never saw any of these guys get cut. I suppose if you mount the scope far enough forward that you head naturally positions itself on the stock and you still see the full circle of the ocular lens you would be safe. This does sound tricky.
                  Clay: The main purpose of my .416 Rem Mag is simply to reduce small boulders into gravel. This it does rather handily plus the rifle is wonderful fun to reload and shoot. Mine has killed two Kodiaks and one bison with one shot kills using 400 gr. Hornadys at about 2400 fps. I think about loading 300 grainers and taking it elk hunting but have never got around to doing it mainly because I don't want to have to sight it in again from a bench. This gun is a Sako action in a McMillan stock with a 3 x Leupold which has been on it since '93 and still functions perfectly.

Comment

OH YEAH! I forgot...

Just a couple years ago, I was talking to a guy that builds big bore guns on Rem. 700 actions. I'm talking .470 NE, 458 Win and Lott, 416 Rigby, etc.. I think he even built a .577 NE once. Anyways, this guy insists on Burris scopes, and happened to have a new one at the time that he was going to mount on something vicious he just built. If they are making them now like they were recently, then hell yes they can handle a .375.

Funny think is, I don't think he's ever been to Africa, even though he has a handful of these guns at his place. You know what he shoots with them? Woodchucks. PMC!

Comment

Ish - you HAVE to take that thing elk hunting. Hire someone to sight it in if you must. I'm dying to hear how that goes. I think you might just get a bang flop.

Comment

I have used Burris scopes over the years and found them quite dependable. To answer the eye relief question posed by Clay I did a little research. Her are the specs for the Burris & Leupold 2X7's as listed in the current catalogs:

Burris:
                        Fulfield 3.1 - 4.1 inches
                        Timberline 3.75 - 5 inches
                        No other 2X7 scopes were listed in the other series

Leupold:
                        VXIII 2.5 X 8 3.6 - 4.5 inches
                        VXII 2 X 7 3.8 - 4.9 inches
                        VXI 3.7 - 4.2 inches
                        Rifleman 3.7 - 4.2 inches

The difference is quite close! Will an extra 3/10 of an inch make a difference?

Comment

I have a Burris Euro Diamond 4x12 30mm on both my .300 Win and .243. They are more expensive than the Fullfields, but are great scopes, I prefer them over the VXIII's I have owned. Bright and clear glass. They seem to be tough as nails after a couple seasons in some rough country and conditions. I really like the Ballistic Plex reticle, with practice it takes the guess work out of shots out to 500 yards or so. I also have a fullfield 3x9 with the ballistic plex on my 10/22, and with practice can consistently lob in 22lr rounds on ground squirrels out to 150 yards. I also ran over the Fullfield with my four wheeler, scratching and banging it all to heck, but it still was zeroed.

Comment

Shane you might remember me talking about the two guys locally here who always hunt togather. One has a .375 H & H and the other a .243 Win., both Rem M-700's. They argue guns all the way to the mountains, while there, and on the way home. Invariably there are two dead bull elks riding in the bed of their pickup as they head back to the flatland. They have done this for years. However from what I understand the .375 guy tends to get more BANG-FLOPs than the .243 guy who sometimes has to administer a followup depending upon his first hit. Neither guy ever shoots very far as they are both farmers. This means that they are essentially out of work in November so might as well wait for the elk and the shot they want unless the season closes. The problem with resighting the .416 is more associated with cost of operation than absorbing recoil. Man you can shoot up many dollars in short order. Buck a bullet plus other components but it is fairly easy on brass as my pressure runs about 49,500 on a 60 degree day.

Comment

If you flatten an elk with it and catch it on video, I'll reimburse you.

How do you get your pressure that low with the Remington? That's more like Rigby pressure. It was my understanding the the Remington operated at much higher pressures to get the same performance you get from the old Rigby.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad