Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong please. the 06, in 25-06, comes from 30-06. a 25-06 is based from the 30-06, necked down a litt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• somebody correct me if i'm wrong please. the 06, in 25-06, comes from 30-06. a 25-06 is based from the 30-06, necked down a litt

somebody correct me if i'm wrong please. the 06, in 25-06, comes from 30-06. a 25-06 is based from the 30-06, necked down a little bit. and of course the 06 in 30-06 is from the year the bullet was introduced into the US army as stated in another post. am i correct? i've been trying to figure it out and somebody has told me that they think that is why it's called a 25-06

Correct.

Another example is .338-06. It's a .30-06 necked up to .338 bullets. It's also awesome.

Similarly, the 7mm-08 is a .308 Win. necked down to 7mm bullets.

Comment

thanks.

Comment

The 06 refers to 1906 the year the 30-06 came out If memory serves. The 30 and the 25 refer to the caliber of the bore between the lands. The 25-06 is simply the 30-06 case necked down to 25 caliber. Bullet diameter is .308 and .257 respectively.

Comment

You are exactly right Reid. As others have said, it is a 30-06 with the neck squeezed down to hold a .25 caliber bullet. If you get one, you can make your own cases from readily available 30-06 or .270 brass. You just put the 30-06 or .270 brass in your 25-06 full length sizer die and presto... 25-06. You will have to trim the case to correct length because it will be a hair too long but I reload all the time and have rarely had to by brass. I pick up .270 and 30-06 all the time for this.

Comment

You are correct. Can't add anything that wasn't explained above.

Comment

You are correct. The 25/ is a 30/06 just necked down to .25 Cal. instead of the .30 Cal. of the 30/06.

Comment

I make all my 25-06 out of 270 and 30-06 Military Match cases.

Also 338 Win Mag out of 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.

No fire forming necessary!

Comment

You are correct.

Comment

For this very reason I have always wished the US had adopted the metric system as in 7 x 57, 7.62 x 63 etc. This method tells you exactly what you are looking at including if the case is rimmed or not. On the other hand names such as .280 Rem, .270 Win, .25-06, and even the English .404 Jeffrey don't truly indicate what you are dealing with.

Comment

25 06 is an o6 cartrige necked down to a 25 caliber

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by Ontario Honker Hunter
                          I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to Trump
                          by crm3006
                          From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                          Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                          Today, 04:20 PM
                        • Trump
                          by Danbo
                          https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                          04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by FirstBubba
                          Ya know bhr!
                          I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                          Today, 03:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X