No announcement yet.

How hard is it to reload your own ammo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to reload your own ammo.

How hard is it to reload your own ammo.

from what i know, it takes precision. accurate ammounts of powder, precise length of cartridge, the end product must be within reasonable length. it will take practice. you MUST study your reloading manual first. i would say it might not be that hard, but it will take time and precision.

Comment

Turn, pull back, insert new cartridge. Turn, push.

Comment

shane-PLUS clean and trim cartridges..there's a waxy oil coat that i believe they rub on the outside of the cartridge. measurements, weights, it's more complicated than you make it seem. i'm not at all saying don't do it. i'm just saying, don't screw around, make sure you know what you're doing, and be precise. no more than the limit. it's a great hobby, but it can be dangerous if you make it.

Comment

OK I was making a dumb joke about reloading your own ammo into your own (bolt) gun, not reloading as Potter is talking about. Never mind...

Comment

OHHH! haha that's hilarious. i didn't understand, i thought you were saying like on a turret press, you know, turn the turret, pull back the press, insert a new cartridge to reload, turn the turret, push the press. yeah. i'm very sorry. that's funny, sorry man.

Comment

I've been handloading since the '60s, and it really isn't difficult. It takes a little time, patience, attention to detail, and decent equipment to produce ammunition that will perform well for you. If you know anyone who can guide you through the process, it helps. When I started, I did not...but I read whatever was available on the subject and my first box or handgun ammunition (.357 Mag.) was soon followed by my first box of rifle ammo (.222 Rem.). Your equipment costs will be recovered over time, and your shooting satisfaction will unquestionably increase because that's YOUR ammunition you're firing!

Comment

It isn't difficult to reload and its fun. Like Ed said, it would be best to know someone who reloads and spend a little time with them to see how easy it is and what steps you go through. That got me started. I spent about an hour with a friend who reloaded to see what it was actually like. Then, as Reid said, get a reloading manual and follow the instructions. They will make more sense to you if you have seen it done. You do want to be carefull because you are dealing with gunpowder but it isn't rocket science. Another thing to consider is to use a powder that will nearly fill up your brass case. It is then not possible to load too much powder... it just won't fit in the case. You can also make a dangerous round by loading too little powder... if you check to see that powder is visible at the right level, you will be good to go... the most dangerous powders are those that only fill about 1/3 of the case because we can easily tell whether we have too much or not enough. Each cartrige type (e.g. 30-06) has many different powders that work well for that cartrige... just pick a powder that fills the case.

Comment

Handgun and shot gun are super easy. No triming. Rifle is a little harder as you have to trim the cases but that's not at all hard. As a matter of fact I tend to trim mine too short if I'm not paying attention. Anyone with time, patience and common sense can make good reloads, and its fun.

Comment

If I can do it, anyone can. And I've been doing it for more than 60 years.

Comment

not to hard

Comment

It is really easy. And it is fun. It also saves you money.

Comment

Hey Renegade. Stop posting false answers. You don't know anything about reloading.

Trust me everyone he doesn't. He is just posting to get points and get free gear.

Comment

It is as hard or easy as you want it to be. Basic reloading is fairly simple, get you a good manual and the right equipment, follow the manual, and off you go. You can get into the difficult side when you start playing with load development for specific guns trying to achieve maximum accuracy. You get into trying different seating depths, different powder and grains of powder used, trying different powder primer combos, and then using different weights and makes of bullets, etc... for almost an unlimited # of possible loads for most common calibers.

Comment

Not very, just STICK WITH THE BOOKS !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad