Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to gun ownership, and I am learning to shoot. Right now I can't hit the side of a barn. The guns I am learning on are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to gun ownership, and I am learning to shoot. Right now I can't hit the side of a barn. The guns I am learning on are

I'm new to gun ownership, and I am learning to shoot. Right now I can't hit the side of a barn. The guns I am learning on are a Marlin 880 series .22 rifle and a Bersa Thunder .380. Other than "practice makes perfect", are there any tips for a complete novice? Thanks in advance!

If you can't hold a tight group don't get frusterated, just take a break and come back later to shoot. Also control your breathing. I usually take a deep breath, then let half of it out, then squeeze the trigger. Hope I helped.

Comment

well are you using a scope? a good way to learn to shoot in my opinion is to sight in ur scope really good. that way you know that a bad shot is your fault, not the scopes. practice your offhand shots, practice from any position that you might take a shot in the field from. shoot alot, and shoot more. learn to squeeze the trigger, not PULL it. practice balance, steadiness, etc. you just need to shoot alot, and get to know your gun. shoot at close targets, shoot at far targets. shoot at small targets. try to make 3 shot groups. all you have to do in my opinion is shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. you'll get better by the more you shoot. even if you're just shooting a 22. i noticed that when i got my 22, i was shooting at round targets 2 inches in diameter. i was shooting at about 75 yards. i couldn't hit the target for crap, but i shot my gun at those targets for 4 months, and now i expect to hit 7/10 shots. it's all because i've been practicing, and shooting alot. i know you didn't want to hear "practice makes perfect", but that's probably the best piece of advice that anybody on here will give you.

Comment

Listen buddy there are pleanty of sites on the internet that explain proper sight picture and trigger squeez I wish I could help you more here but I can't show you a picture of what you're sites should look like. The main thing is remain calm, have fun and try to get a good site picture. Squeeze and shoot. Take you're time Squeeze and shoot, do it 30 or 40 times and go home. Do it a few more trips and you will have it. Don't get frustrated and don't judge yourself. Try tgo find some people at the range that you go to and ask them for advice or help. The main thing is to go at you're own pace and try to have fun! Get on here as much as possible and ask any questions you might have. WE'RE HERE TO HELP!!!

Comment

Stick w/ the .22 Marlin for now. You're lucky to hit the side of a barn w/ a Bersa .380 as an experienced shot. Start CLOSE, say 20 feet. Your rifle is probably open sights, so lign up your front sight level w/ the back sight, cover up half your bullseye w/ the sights, and shoot. Squeeze don't jerk. Fire a few shots like this, then see where your gun shoots. You may have to put the entire bullseye on top of your sights when they're lined up. But start close, learn your gun, and gain confidence, then back it up a little bit at a time. Good Luck!

Comment

take a handgun shooting course if at all possible practice doesnt make perfect if you are not doing things the right way when you practice as one of my instructors said often perfect practice makes perfect and as to your being new to the gun ownership congrats on deciding to get into the sport of shooting another trick is to have a friend load your magazine with live rounds and a dummy round and you fire at your target and when the dummy round comes up and doesnt fire you will know if you are antisipating the shot and pulling your shots off paper good luck and i hope enjoy the sport

Comment

Thanks for all of the helpful comments. The one thing I am not super sure on is the difference between squeezing versus pulling the trigger. Sorry, I am a complete novice (I have only been shooting 3 times). Also, I have considered a class, but I have had a hard time finding one in my area. I would really like to find one geared towards teaching women to shoot (and hunt). Thank you guys for all of your replies!

Comment

Something that beginner and even novice shooters commonly do is anticipate the shot and flinch just before the sear breaks free. This is especially true with heavier recoiling guns. Stick with the .22 for now and have someone with you. Ask your assistant to give you the gun, sometimes loaded, sometimes not, and not tell you whether or not it is loaded. Have them watch you shoot and if there is no bullet in the gun then your flinching will be obvious. This drill also helps to eliminate the habit of flinching. Anticipation is a destroyer of accuracy. Also, stick with iron sights for now. When I was young I was a lousy shot but my dad got me an open sight pellet gun and I shot thousands of pellets and BB's. I am now on an NJROTC rifle team and have won a few local annual rifle and shotgun shooting competitions. I credit all of this to my training with my pumpmaster 760.

Comment

Pulling is when you use one jerking motion to set off the trigger, usually resulting in a poor group or missed shot. Squeezing is when you apply steady pressure on the trigger slowly until the rifle goes off. If you squeeze the trigger properly, your rifle will almost surprise you when it fires the shot.

Comment

there really isn't a whole lot more to say then whats been already said one thing is if you aren't already try shooting from a shooting bench rather than off hand at first don't give up you'll get the hang of it!

Comment

Like CPT said try and find someone either that you know or at the range to help. Don't be afraid to ask most sportsmen/women are very nice people and will not be quick to judge you. If you can find someone to help they could tell you what you need to do to improve your shooting. Alittle advise and a few good shots will really improve your confidence.

Comment

if you cant find a shooting course go to a gun range and ask someone to help you out this is a competitive guy and gals love to shoot better than the last person but most serious shooters are more than willing to help with tips and help corect anything you may be doing wrong also try a sports shop either a small local owned one or a bass pro shop, cabelas, or gander mnt the people there are as friendly as can be and will help you also good luck also try shooting magazine articles they can be very helpful

Comment

Agreed with firebriar answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                            by jhjimbo
                            What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                            Today, 01:16 PM
                          • Another New Upper
                            by DakotaMan
                            Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                            Today, 12:54 PM
                          • Reply to Another New Upper
                            by FirstBubba
                            Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                            Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                            Today, 01:12 PM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                            He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                            Today, 01:11 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X