Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best all around big game caliber for the united states?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayne
    replied
    22 long rifle, drops anything from bacteria to clowns, get the 467.2 grain bullets for the best accuracy. Aim for the left butt cheek and it will expire quickly and effectively. It's a cheap round and is available at McDonald's

Leave a comment:

• platte river rat
    replied
    I favor the 300 WSM, but the 30-06 or 270 Win will probably win this poll.

Leave a comment:

• Clay Smith
    replied
    Carbon fiber/titanium .50 BMG it will get the job done. Good luck with the recoil and ammo.

Leave a comment:

• ranchhandTCR
    replied
    30-06 is proably you most versatile gun to purchase you can buy 50 grain to 220 grain bullets for a 30-06 and you can kill anything in america with it.

Leave a comment:

• BigBboy25
    replied
    Not my favorite caliber but if I wanted to hunt everything in north america without hesitation and have one rifle to do it, I'd get a .338 Win Mag. It would be plenty for everything, including the big bears.

Leave a comment:

• bass bomber
    replied
    Theres a reason why the springfield 1903 and the M1 garand were 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    +1 res hahaha!!

Leave a comment:

• jamesti
    replied
    .300 savage is a good one as well.

Leave a comment:

• RES1956
    replied
    Such a caliber does not exist, just ask my wife. Different species ALL require a different caliber and some types of hunting tactics require a different action type in the same caliber for the same game.
    This is what I have told my wife for the last 30 years and if any of you Bozos make her think that a person could feasibly get by with a SINGLE rifle or caliber I will hunt you with the same resolve as would be necessary to kill a record Marco Polo sheep.
    May this topic never darken these pages again.

Leave a comment:

• pudgexl29
    replied
    30-06 is definatly the most versatile

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    If you must take big bears into account; I'd want something in the .30 caliber range. .300 wm, weatherby, rum, etc.

Leave a comment:

• J4huntfish
    replied
    7mm remington magnum, you can oad it up fo big game but also take 500 yd shots if needed

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    AJM: I have taken only one Black Bear with a M/70 243W
    100Gr round,I was NOT hunting for Bears in up-State NY
    I was Deer Hunting...Stoped to take lunch at the Base of a mountan, when HE broke through the Heavy Brush and sented my lunch?...3 rounds fired in to his neck stop him at 40Feet from ME! its not a caliber I would use on All BEARS!!...Lunch was (penut butter and jelly)...Lol

Leave a comment:

• davycrockettfv
    replied
    Plenty of more powerful calibers out there, but the 30-06 has loads that will let you hunt anything in the States and hunt it well, so it's the best all-around IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• tneal1987
    replied
    Looks like the 30-06 is a very popular gun, I agree with everyone though, it is really shooter preferance and depends on the big game being hunted.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad