Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best all around big game caliber for the united states?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30/06 unless your in BIG BEAR country, then .375 H&H just in case.

Comment

Considering you have to cover the big boys if we're looking for an all around cartridge, I would lean towards the .338 Winchester. It will take anything on this continent cleanly, and isn't so fast that it would blow up deer and antelope.

Comment

That 8mm Remington Magnum would also be a good one.

Comment

7mm Rem mag, 338 or 300 Winchester if you can handle the power. If not 30-06

Comment

Mine is the 300WSM.

Comment

30-06 is my favorite all around caliber

Comment

.300 weatherby mag can kill anything in the US, is even capable of brown and grizzly bear, though i feel it is just a tad on the light side for those 2. recoil is not bad, lots of different bullet weights. can shoot pretty far with that gun as well.

so thats my ultimate north american big game gun, luckily i have one!!

Comment

Grizzlies soak up bullets and a rip spinal cords- 338 is a good greeting card for hungry beast pressing their noses through your tent- since I hunt in bear hunting territory a 243 Win will do anything I ask it.

Comment

Looks like the 30-06 is a very popular gun, I agree with everyone though, it is really shooter preferance and depends on the big game being hunted.

Comment

Plenty of more powerful calibers out there, but the 30-06 has loads that will let you hunt anything in the States and hunt it well, so it's the best all-around IMHO.

Comment

AJM: I have taken only one Black Bear with a M/70 243W
                        100Gr round,I was NOT hunting for Bears in up-State NY
                        I was Deer Hunting...Stoped to take lunch at the Base of a mountan, when HE broke through the Heavy Brush and sented my lunch?...3 rounds fired in to his neck stop him at 40Feet from ME! its not a caliber I would use on All BEARS!!...Lunch was (penut butter and jelly)...Lol

Comment

7mm remington magnum, you can oad it up fo big game but also take 500 yd shots if needed

Comment

If you must take big bears into account; I'd want something in the .30 caliber range. .300 wm, weatherby, rum, etc.

Comment

30-06 is definatly the most versatile

Comment

Such a caliber does not exist, just ask my wife. Different species ALL require a different caliber and some types of hunting tactics require a different action type in the same caliber for the same game.
                                This is what I have told my wife for the last 30 years and if any of you Bozos make her think that a person could feasibly get by with a SINGLE rifle or caliber I will hunt you with the same resolve as would be necessary to kill a record Marco Polo sheep.
                                May this topic never darken these pages again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad