Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best all around big game caliber for the united states?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best all around big game caliber for the united states?

Whats the best all around big game caliber for the united states?

You ask a question that has no definite answer!
    Everyone will state their "favorite" caliber! Just like me!

.270 Winchester - scoped bolt rifle

Bubba

Comment

30.06. the versatility and availability of ammo makes it my first choice. the '06 has arguably killed more game in more kinds of terrain than any caliber out there.

Comment

My personal choice would be a 7mm rem mag, although I'd have a pretty tough time coming up with any argument against many of the other ones as well. I think this one comes down to personal preference.

Comment

For all big game in the USA I'd take a 300 wim mag. For most game, I'd go with the 30.06 for the choices in ammo.

Comment

There are lots of great calibers and my favorite is my 300 Winchester Mag, but I would say probably the most popular caliber in the states is the 30-06.

Comment

30-06 or .300 win mag for me, but there are a lot of other options such as 308. and i will not even begin the debate over 30-06 versus .270!

Comment

My vote goes to the venerable .30-06, with factory ammo available in every town and hamlet from coast to coast.

Comment

To my way of thinking, "all-around" equates to versatility for game in a wide range of sizes. Regular factory ammo for the .30-06 is available in bullet weights ranging from 125 grains to 220 grains.
                  Remington offers a "Managed Recoil" loading in 125 grains for short-range big-game shooting applications, and they also offer a 55-grain "Accelerator" loading for varmints.

Comment

30-06 would be hard to beat. I am also very fond of my .300 weatherby magnum.

Comment

I'd say 30-06 or 270 the cartridges are similar in stopping power and both are available almost anywhere.

Comment

I'd say 30-06 or 270 the cartridges are similar in stopping power and both are available almost anywhere.

Comment

The 30/06 hands down and available of ammo,My personal choice the 8mm/Magnum now that puts the DOWN in Brown Bears!!

Comment

My vote goes with .30-06 or 300 WM.

Comment

30/06 for sure!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad