Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with Hornady's leverevolution ammo? I've been using the cheap stuff off the Wal-mart shelf but I'm w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Skolrood
    replied
    Yes, the Hornady Leverevolution .30-30 I used many many years ago cycled fine in my Winchester model 94, but the 45-70 I recently bought sucked. Ejection wasn't the problem though, it was feeding. Rounds would get stuck half in the magazine and half on the lifter. I will never wast my money on that ammo again.

Leave a comment:

• Rick Skolrood
    replied
    Originally posted by Shootmore View Post
    I have tried the Hornady 30-30 lever evolution rounds in both a savage model 340 bolt action, and a H&R handi rifle. Both rifles had extraction problems / stuck cases. Accuracy was good at 100 yds, but most all cases stuck. All other ammo extracts fine even my own reloads. Anyone else run across this? They have worked flawlessly in my contender pistol.
    Yes, the Hornady Leverevolution .30-30 I used many many years ago cycled fine in my Winchester model 94, but the 45-70 I recently bought sucked. Ejection wasn't the problem though, it was feeding. Rounds would get stuck half in the magazine and half on the lifter. I will never wast my money on that ammo again.

Leave a comment:

• Shootmore
    replied
    I have tried the Hornady 30-30 lever evolution rounds in both a savage model 340 bolt action, and a H&R handi rifle. Both rifles had extraction problems / stuck cases. Accuracy was good at 100 yds, but most all cases stuck. All other ammo extracts fine even my own reloads. Anyone else run across this? They have worked flawlessly in my contender pistol.

Leave a comment:

• Waskow54
    replied
    I shot two boxes of the Leverevolution through my son's Marlin 336 in 30-30. It shot very well. about one and a half inch groups at 100 yards. I didn't use the rifle for hunting and my son had reserve duty so I don't know how they work on deer.

Leave a comment:

• platte river rat
    replied
    I use Leverevolution bullets in both my 30-30 and 45/70. I also use Hodgdon leverevolution rifle powder to reload my ammo. These two things make a great increase in performance in these two calibers, well worth the trouble of reloading. But being retired I enjoy the time I use in making my own custom ammo.

Leave a comment:

• Clay Smith
    replied
    It dose hell on Moutian Lions at 20 feet i'll tell you that.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    DSM,
    My point exactly. But if your only rifle was the 45-70,
    the Leverevolution ammo would be the answer to a prayer.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I will eventually try some Leverevolution ammo for my 45-70. Right now I have a bunch of bullets I will reload and use up first. Normally, if I need that kind of range and performance I will use a different rifle.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    PH

No equip purchased - $0
    Brass previously purchased - $0
    100 Sierra 130gr BTSP - $25
    1 lb IMR 4895 - $25 - 4650 grs = $16.74
    Primers - .03 ea = $3.00
    100 rounds of .270 Win = $44.74
    100 rounds of .270 Win out of the store, no shipping. Est $150.

150.00 - factory
    44.74 - reloaded
    105.26 - savings by reloading previously purchased brass.

Don't know about you, but a hunnert bucks is nice in the pocket book.

Bubba

Leave a comment:

• tneal1987
    replied
    I love Hornady's Leverevolution shells in my 45-70 and my 30-30, I will never buy snub nosed shells again. The accuracy of the ammo is outstanding and I have shot thousands of rounds through both guns.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Well, PH, I reload for my lever gun also. No, I don't shoot Hornady Leverevolution in it!

Have you actually fired ONE round of LeverRevolution, checked the primer size, or deprimed one of the cases? No, no and no.

What does primer size matter anyway if one does not handload or if handloads produce consistant results? None.

If a factory load does well in a firearm there is no need to "roll your own". My reloads perform superbly and are much cheaper than factory ammo. If I spend my money on reloading supplies instead of factory ammo, I can shoot about 3 or 4 times more for the same buck.
    One box of 20 rounds of .270 Win ammo. $30.
    Reloading supplies to load 100 rounds of .270 Win ammo. Less than $100 dollars.
    Have I ever shot Hornady ammo? Yes.
    Did it work okay? Yes.
    Have I every reloaded Hornady brass? Yes. I have some Hornady handgun brass. Same primer as Win and Rem brass of the same caliber.
    PH, we all have our little quirks. Mine is, I like to buy factory ammo to shoot up for reloading brass. Even if I "swaged" the primer pocket on the Hornady brass, I would "still" have to sort it by primer size.
    It's just easier to purchase Rem ammo and not have to worry.
    Just one of my little "quirks".

Bubba

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I have heard good things about the Leverevolution ammo, and it seems to be just the thing for the one-gun hunter who wants to extend the range of his tubular-magazine rifle with spitzer bullets. But for the hunter who also owns a good bolt action rifle in an adequate caliber, it would not fill a need.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I have shot about a box of Leverevolution ammo through my Win94 .32 win spl. It seems to like it. Haven't shot a deer with it yet.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I shoot mostly "reloaded" ammo. My own. My brass I normally get by buying factory ammo, using it for target practice and then "roll my own" for serious shooting.
    I've tryed a little Hornady ammo. I'm not impressed.
    I bought some 6.8mm Rem SPC by Hornady and some by Remington.
    The Hornady ammo was primed with "small" rifle primers and the Remington had "large" rifle primers.
    The Hornady primers were "crimped". Unless you have a primer pocket swage, and I don't, it's useless for reloading. Ergo; I don't buy Hornady.
    JMHO

Bubba

Leave a comment:

• lyndonavery
    replied
    I haven't had a chance to shoot any of the LeverRevolution yet but as Treestand states the ballistics are bumped up a notch over all others. I hope to get to the range and shoot my 1886 Win. chambered in .45-70, just havn't had the time.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad