Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a .270 work for a deer and varmits? also is it a gun with some range? like could i take a 200 yard shot easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a .270 work for a deer and varmits? also is it a gun with some range? like could i take a 200 yard shot easy?

Would a .270 work for a deer and varmits? also is it a gun with some range? like could i take a 200 yard shot easy?

Would a .270 work for a deer and varmints at 200 yards?

How about 700 yards and some change with a 130 grain Hornady Soft point from Jack Rabbit’s to Caribou!

It will do all of that and give you back change!

270 is no PUNK!

Comment

The .270 is perfect for deer at ranges much further than most shooters are competent taking.

Comment

As long as you don't plan on eating the varmints, hell yes!

Comment

I say so.

Comment

In the right and capable hands, and the right bullet, the .270 Winchester can take just about any game animal in the lower 48 (read: lower 48=maybe NOT Alaska).

Comment

If you practice often you can make a 200 yard shot easily. If you don't practice, hitting at 200 yards will be more luck than anything else.

Comment

rezavoirdog

My First Sergeant in Alaska has taken everything with his 270.Wolves, Caribou, Moose and Grizzly it didn't matter!

All BANG! FLOP!!

Comment

Clay Cooper, I was gonna say North America, but I didn't want to stir that can of beans (.270 vs. you know what '06) again...

Comment

The .270 can be loaded with bullets ranging from 90 to 160 grains, which easily covers the spread from varmints to deer. Any of those bullet weights will shoot far beyond 200 yards.

Comment

270 is a GREAT caliber. good for deer, elk, bear, etc. you can EASILY, easily take a 200 yard shot. you could easily take a 300 yard shot. just takes some practice. about the varmints, yes, you can shoot varmints with a 270. you can also shoot varmints with a 50 CAL! the only bad thing, is that with either of those 2 calibers, your prairie dog will be blown to bits.

Comment

I have used my .270 to take deer and elk at ranges from 30 ft to 500 yds. As Clay likes to say, BANG, FLOP! It is also a very easy gun to shoot with minimal recoil. Everyone else is right there won't be much left of the varmints and you won't be getting top dollar for coyote pelts.

Comment

Yes. By the way, I've never heard of anyone going out and recovering their prarie-dog and eating it. My .270 makes 200+ yd.shots easy, with some practice, your's will too.

Comment

In my opinion the .270 is probably one of the most popular and most effective deer guns of all time. 200 yards is a "gravy" shot in most hands. Don't forget that you do need to practice though. 200 yards is a long way for the inexperienced. Now, for varmints, if you are talking about coyote and such it would depend on what you want to do with the pelts. If you just want to make them dead, it is more than capable. If you want a marketable pelt left over...I don't know. Some deer that I have shot and seen shot with a .270 have a quite impressive hole in them.

Comment

yes and yes the 270 is a very versitile round you can confedently kill just about anything you choose to hunt out to 400 to 500 yards easy and to solve the tearing up coyote pelts go to a lighter grained bullet such as sierras 90 grain hp or check out frangiblebullets.com they have a very nice 95 grain bullet that is copper and tin powders compressed into a bullet that shatters on impact and will not exit a coyote sized animal leaving the pelt intact its not all about caliber as some people believe its in bullet design and selection

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad