Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have taken deer with a 243 Winchester? How many deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flytier1010
    replied
    when i was 12 i shot my first deer with one. dropped her in her tracks at 200 yards. the very next day i shot a spike at bout 25 yards and dropped him in his tracks to. both shots straight to the heart.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    Don't own one, but i've seen a few deer drop in their tracks shot with one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for my youngsters to hunt deer with.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    Two, both went down within sight.

Leave a comment:

• RES1956
    replied
    My first centerfire rifle was a 6mm Rem. and it accounted for ALOT of deer in Alabama. 95 gr Nosler Partition worked best for me and I forget how much H4831.
    I only recall 1 deer that was ever lost that was shot with this rifle. The only drawback to the .243/6mm was many times the blood trail was next to nonexistent, to rectify that, I simply started shooting them high in the shoulder and they dropped right there.
    Like treestand, my 'go to' rifle these days is a 7mm/08.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraskahunter18
    replied
    Took me 9 shots over the length of a season(my first) but i got a doe on second to last day. Great great grandmas gun. Lever action.

Leave a comment:

• AK30.06Guy
    replied
    Killed my first buck with grandpa's .243..think I took 2 after that, then it became my younger brother's rifle..he took a slew of deer with it..awesome

Leave a comment:

• fishhound331
    replied
    A .243 is my deer rifle and have taken some with it.

Leave a comment:

• tneal1987
    replied
    I like the .243 for hunting and have taken a few deer with it. My wife also uses a 243 for Elk and has shot three elk.

Leave a comment:

• jamesti
    replied
    none. i have better options.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Love that 243W ! Killed a ton of deer with it,and 1/2 ton with my 7mm/08... it shoots a heaver bullit.
    I have 3..one M/70...M/100..Rem M/700.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    never seen anyone kill a deer with one, never had one in the house, never shot one....dont doubt it as a deer caliber though.

Leave a comment:

• slothman
    replied
    ruger m77 243 was my first deer rifle! Killed several deer and countless hogs with it... I still take it out on stand with me quite ofter just because I love it so much! as a matter of fact i shot my Buck on opening day with it last year! Never failed me!

Leave a comment:

• deerhunterrick
    replied
    WAM has the ultimate cartridge. I guess I have somewhere around 15 or so with the ,243/.244/6mm I used to grab whatever was closest at the time. Taken 3 with my G2 in 6 x.223 and have had not a single deer go over 25 yards after sqeezing the trigger. 87 gr bthp does the job for me.

Leave a comment:

• Phil1227
    replied
    When I was young I killed around 5 deer with dads S&W model 1500 .243.

Leave a comment:

• tennesseedeerhunter
    replied
    my first gun was a rossi 243. i killed 8 or 10 does and about 5 bucks

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad