Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have taken deer with a 243 Winchester? How many deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Zero, and likely to stay that way. My mouse gun is a .257 Roberts.

Leave a comment:

• chaslee
    replied
    40 years using one 36 deer. Gave it to my nephew. 6 years using it 6 deer. the 4 years I didn't get one I didn't see 1.

Leave a comment:

• platte river rat
    replied
    so far my wife has taken 47 mule deer with her remington model 600 243 winchester. I load a speer 105 gr bullet, H4831 powder, federal primer, in a Winchester brass. All shots have been between 50 and 250 yards and were one shot flop over kills. I can't think of a finer caliber for a women unless its a 260 remington. My wife is 75 yrs old and still is my best hunting partner.

Leave a comment:

• AJMcClure
    replied
    When folks start talking bad about the 243 Win., or buckshot the story goes "No don't use them...I mean we used to kill truck loads of deer with them,but now I hunt with a... (something bigger). " When I was 16, or so I called Remington and ordered a 6mm Model 700 because I like the ballistics, and when I called they said they were on back order so I called Browning and got an A-bolt 243 and I have had people that own 7mm BAR-s and model 70 30-06 borrow it for mountain hunting and the A-bolt is the fastest bolt I know of. Bottom line the 243Win does its job when you do yours.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I have an old Sako Vixen in .243 that has killed somewhere over 40 bucks and has not been shot since about 1997. Some of the deer I killed, some my son, some when the rifle was loaned to friends. I have used every bullet from 90 gr to 105 gr with all seemingly effective out to 300 yards. Most were one shot kills, looked like the deer was shot with a .30-'06. Everyone does not share my enthusiasm for the .243 but it has been kind to me in many ways. I retired the rifle because I didn't want it getting beat up any more than it already is. I have two friends here in Wyoming who use them successfully for elk and own no other rifles. I personally don't recommend this caliber for the large animals but both friends have trophy rooms filled with many 300+ bulls that make unbelievers keep their mouths shut, me included.

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    A 243 was my first deer rifle and I filled plenty of tags with it! I have dropped them straight in their tracks at 200 yards. But also had a couple take a good hit and run 150 yards.

Leave a comment:

• Jere Smith
    replied
    20 with 30/06

Leave a comment:

• Jere Smith
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AJMcClure
    replied
    I reckon bout' 13...13 baker's dozens

Leave a comment:

• How many of you have taken deer with a 243 Winchester? How many deer?

How many of you have taken deer with a 243 Winchester? How many deer?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad