Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will any short fat magnum cartridge/rifle survive for the next generation to hunt with? If so I'm predicting maybe the .270 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    No shame for me. I haven’t bought it. I entertained the idea but then realized I would never use it. And the round has been around since the 1950’s built by Roy Weatherby himself. It wasn’t commercialized until 2016.
    Just kidding you ! Lol but it’s sounds to me like a classic rationalization !

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
      pmacc60, I still want a Ruger No.1 (.308 Win) rechambered to .300 H&H and I want the barrel restamped, "Holland's Super .30".
      That's the original cartridge designation.
      I'll never do it, but I still want it! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
        None taken your we’re correct in calling me on it.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

pmacc60, I still want a Ruger No.1 (.308 Win) rechambered to .300 H&H and I want the barrel restamped, "Holland's Super .30".
          That's the original cartridge designation.
          I'll never do it, but I still want it! LOL!
          I want a ruger number one so bad and I don’t know why. I’d never use it but for some reason it calls to me. Kind of like you gotta have a 30-30 in the safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

I want a ruger number one so bad and I don’t know why. I’d never use it but for some reason it calls to me. Kind of like you gotta have a 30-30 in the safe.
            'dawg, I've been shooting a Ruger No.1 for 40 years now.
            I'm not sure just exactly WHAT there is about a No.1.
            Falling block?
            Single shot?
            Classic lines?
            Note that as many Ruger No.1's there are in the world, you seldom, if ever, see a hunter with one in the field?
            You very seldom see a No.1 on the used gun rack?
            You seldom see a No.1 on a table at a gun show?
            If I had the money, I'd probably have a No.1 in EVERY caliber! LOL!

Comment

Old thread revived.
              I don't know anyone in the original thread...Maybe one or two, I kind of blew through it quickly.
              I imagine the PRC is here to stay as is the 300 WSM. In the bench/F-Class Open world the 300 WSM and 7mm SAUM (F-Class only) still have a good following

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                Old thread revived.
                I don't know anyone in the original thread...Maybe one or two, I kind of blew through it quickly.
                I imagine the PRC is here to stay as is the 300 WSM. In the bench/F-Class Open world the 300 WSM and 7mm SAUM (F-Class only) still have a good following
                I remember some of those members. I joined the site later that year. Blackdawgz was a character.

Comment

There were a lot of "characters." Remember the "har har har" guy? The brothers that supposedly would log in under another's name an post? I think it would be interesting to see all the duplicate and alter-ego accounts back then.

Comment

Good to see some of these old names again. Looking forward over the next 50 years, I suspect that the growing interest in longer range precision will establish quite a few "long/fats" to make it. Most of the WSMs have a chance and the new 6.5 PRC (a necked down 300 Ruger Compact Magnum) will likely make it too. The Creedmoors are all short/fats and will probably make it for the long haul as well. The are outstanding hunting cartridges and all of them shoot lights out beyond 1000 yards.

They are so low in recoil and yet so effective, they just might start a trend away from "magnum" cartridges. Don't throw your short/fats away, even if they don't make it. You can reload them and enjoy them for the rest of your life. I chose my 300 Dakota because of its performance and will likely not see a cartridge to beat it for long range precision and knockdown power. I'll be happy with it for the rest of my life. Even when I travel, I have never found the need to buy factory ammo for any of my rifles.

Comment

I will be keeping both my 325wsm rifles. They are off the beaten path but very interesting and effective. Got enough brass for two or even three lifetimes-lol. Some claim it’s hard to find brass but I’ve never found that to be so. Otherwise, there is much good to be said in staying with time tested cartridges . Realistically, it’s been proven over 100 years ago that magnums aren’t even necessary. By the looks of it though, I’m sure more new cartridges will come to market.
                      It’s the American way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad