Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will any short fat magnum cartridge/rifle survive for the next generation to hunt with? If so I'm predicting maybe the .270 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These recent cartridges seem to me like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Comment

I think they will stick around. I know enough people in Co that shoot either the 270 or the 300 wsm's. We all love them and word of mouth is great advertisement because they perform. Like Cpt Brad said I believe its byebye for the 223 wssm and the 325. Not enugh interest or at least not under my rock.

Comment

CPT BRAD I agree with you about the "fad" aspect. Clay u must of never even given them a try! But Jim In Mo I would love to see the chronographs you talk about. Not to mention I have some pretty awesome pictures of the 270wsm in action against the .270. I think hands down the wsm dominates!!! It leaves golf ball size entry wounds in hog skulls, and the exit well.... I shot two hogs through the skull with one round this year and the bullet kept going. I have never done that with the .270. The wsm is faster and lays a much stronger punch than the plain .270.

Comment

I think you are safe with those guesses. My feeling is that the .325 WSM will be there too, as Browning has picked up on it for the BLR.

Comment

Agreed with CPT BRAD answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

So what are everyone’s thoughts about the wissums now that it’s 10 years later ? As for the 325, although it has barely survived, I still use my Kimber and ABolt.

Comment

Well I don’t care for fads or trendy stuff. Everything in my safe all the rifles all the calibers are at least 80 years old. I guess if it works then it works. And short fats are really good at miss feeding. And I’ve never seen wssm on a gas station shelf.

Comment

Sarge has a short 300 and really likes it. Have you looked at the performance ? It is a real power house. Sarge said he has never had a feed problem. He reloads for it.

Comment

The WSM’s are really good cartridges ,10 years down the road ( almost 20 years actually) and ten years from now they will still be good. The 270 wsm and 300 WSM’s are flat hard hitting rounds that have no real disadvantages . The 325 wsm is really underrated as a fine big game stopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                      Well I don’t care for fads or trendy stuff. Everything in my safe all the rifles all the calibers are at least 80 years old. I guess if it works then it works. And short fats are really good at miss feeding. And I’ve never seen wssm on a gas station shelf.
                      I got to call BS here dawg ! You just posted on a desire to purchase a 6.5 - 300 Weatherby , a trendy , fad of a round as it gets! Shame shame !

Comment

I have been shooting a 300WSM since they came out. Mine is super accurate and I can get the same performance as the 300 Win Mag with 6 or 7 grains less powder. I had a 270WSm too but needed it for trading material. It was a shooter too. The WSM are on the same principle as the short bench rest cartridges of some years back. In my area you run into someone every day that shots a 300WSM. Most of the guys that I know that go out west to hunt elk are shooting a 300WSM. I think that 300WSM is here to stay for years to come because it is such a pleasure to shoot and has the power for anything except the really big stuff ( brown bears, grizzly bears) However with a good constructed bullet I feel comfortable hunting in bear country. My Sako A7 really likes Nosler Accubond bullets.

Comment

I just don't like "Mangrums".
                          Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying a "Mangle'em" isn't worthwhile, I just don't like them.
                          ...and "Yes.", I've owned a couple.
                          In the "recoil" field, I don't find the end result worth the added recoil.
                          With the shoulder implant, recoil, left OR right shoulder, is a once unseen, serious consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                            I got to call BS here dawg ! You just posted on a desire to purchase a 6.5 - 300 Weatherby , a trendy , fad of a round as it gets! Shame shame !
                            No shame for me. I haven’t bought it. I entertained the idea but then realized I would never use it. And the round has been around since the 1950’s built by Roy Weatherby himself. It wasn’t commercialized until 2016.
                            Last edited by Milldawg; 06-16-2020, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              I just don't like "Mangrums".
                              Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying a "Mangle'em" isn't worthwhile, I just don't like them.
                              ...and "Yes.", I've owned a couple.
                              In the "recoil" field, I don't find the end result worth the added recoil.
                              With the shoulder implant, recoil, left OR right shoulder, is a once unseen, serious consideration.
                              FB the 300 wsm uses about 7to 10grains of powder more than the 30-06 in the same bullet weights. Keeping this in mind the more efficient case design generates more velocity and energy . Not much more in recoil , there is much to appreciated about the WSM , no matter which cal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                                FB the 300 wsm uses about 7to 10grains of powder more than the 30-06 in the same bullet weights. Keeping this in mind the more efficient case design generates more velocity and energy . Not much more in recoil , there is much to appreciated about the WSM , no matter which cal.
                                I just have to live with the fact that I'm a "recoil weenie" pmacc60! LOL!

In the late 70's, I ran about half a box of ammo through a Ruger M77 .458 Win Mag. The first round with much trepidation to say the least.
                                That was probably, recoil wise, the biggest shock I ever experienced shooting a rifle. I was all cocked and primed to have that thing knock my hat in the creek!
                                Rather than the sharp, bone crushing shock I was expecting, I got a surprisingly heavy "shove".
                                My old 870 with 3" ammo had a much more unpleasant recoil.

I also had a Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag! I'd much rather walk up behind a mare mule and goose her than pull the trigger on that beast again! The recoil was absolutely horrible!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad