Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will any short fat magnum cartridge/rifle survive for the next generation to hunt with? If so I'm predicting maybe the .270 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will any short fat magnum cartridge/rifle survive for the next generation to hunt with? If so I'm predicting maybe the .270 WSM

Will any short fat magnum cartridge/rifle survive for the next generation to hunt with? If so I'm predicting maybe the .270 WSM and certainly the .300 WSM. The others will live a short production life. What do you think?

I predict the .270 and .300 WSM will survive for the next generation because they already have a good following, have sold a lot of rifles, and actually offer advantages over their counterparts. While I realize MANY will disagree, I see very little reason beyond ammo availability to use a .270 Win. or a .300 Win Mag.

I would love to see the .325 WSM survive, in no small part because I own one, but I don't think it will. Although the caliber offers advantages (of debateable utility) over its competitors, the .300 and .338 Win Mags, it hasn't caught on. Gun and ammo manufacturers are already hesitant to produce the .325 and I think it will only get worse over time. I suspect that within 10 years, the .325 WSM will go the way of the rest of the 8mms that have been introduced in the states.

Comment

I won't be rushing out to buy one, but the .270 wsm seems like the one i'd be most likely to buy

Comment

Out of the short mags I think the 270WSM is the best choice it also in my oppinion gives the best perfomance, I would also like to see the 325WSM survive.

Comment

I would like to see them all make it, but it seems like some will probably go the way of the Dodobird. It does look like the .300 and .270 are the most popular. Unfortunately, I have not shot anything but the two forementioned guns. What is the smallest WSM they make?

Comment

|will tell you the first two to die off. 223 WSSM and the 325 WSM. Two simple reasons, 223 is one of the most saturated caliber out there and the 223 WSSM doesn't do it noticably better than the 22-250 or 220 Swift which are both excellent calibers. 325 is in the same boat 33 caliber is also a crowded place to try to make a living. It doesn't even live there, its one block over so it will always be smaller. With Magnum Mania out there bigger is better, right? 32 over 33 hmmm.... and if it ever came out that it is actually one of those aweful METRICS in a "American" caliber (GASP) what would the US Hunter say??? (Yes Virgina it really is an 8mm)

Secondly and this is why I think they will die off first, I OWN both of them. I'm sorry if you other guys have them I should sell both of mine and save my bad luck from ruining good guns but I fear its too late. Alas..... :_(

Comment

It is a 223WSSM,a super high velocity varmit gun that got a early reputation for burning barels. try this 55 grain at 4000. nosler list some beter loads for it you can check it out on there web sight

Comment

The 300 wsm better stay around! I have one. And the 270 wsm will prob stay around too. As for the 325? I agree with The Cpt.

Comment

The .270 WSM has more staying power than the .300 WSM. I don't see the advantage over the .300 Mag. The original .300 Mag actually pushes the heavy stuff faster.

Comment

I would bet your safe Victorytw228. However, if you look at the ballistics between the .300mag and .300wsm there is not that much difference. Now look at the charts for the .270 and the .270wsm. There is a huge difference in the ballistics. So in my opinion the .270wsm is actually a great and valuable round. If I had to choose between one of these two rounds staying I would go with the .270wsm.

Comment

I will be pretty ticked, but not surprised, if the .325 WSM doesn't make it. It's an excellent, highly useful cartridge. It's perfect for anyone that wants to shoot something big and nasty, but can't shoot well with the recoil of the big nasty .338 rounds. It's perfect for elk and moose. It's not way over the top for deer. It will drop just about any bear. It works in Africa. It's very under appreciated and underrated.

Comment

If you like "FAD” cartridges go ahead and waste your money! I’m not impressed with them at all!

Comment

The wssm will be the first to go. Shane, I agree the 300WSM will never outdo the 300mag for the reason you stated and the old man is just getting started with 180 bullets and is at its best IMO with 200. The wsm does fine with lighter bullets but it takes case capacity for the bullet the round was intended for. DrMike, I think the jury is still out on the 270wsm being so much faster than the original. Ballistic tables are one thing but people chronographing both loads in the field aren't seeing the humongous velocity spread as first reported by the factories in some of the loads tested. Which should be no surprise.

Comment

Some people just don't get it. The 20th century was made on "Fad" cartridges. If not we would all be shooting either 375 H&H or a 45-70. And let's not forget when that little pip squeek 30-30 came around, 45 and 50s were all the rage back then, who would have thought about something 33% smaller?? They've killed everything on this contient on it boys. I mean really, its all about change. I don't think the WSMs or WSSMs gain any great advantage over the old standbys, but here's the deal who can tell? The 264 didn't make it when the 270 did. The 350 or any 35 didn't make it when the 338 did. Who can really tell? Fate is a fickle mistress.
                            I hope my 325 makes it, mainly because it was the last MDL 70 that rolled of the line but I actually like the gun. I won't beat my old 338 but it is an odd ball that I plan to hold onto because I can shoot the 180s with it.

Comment

Some people just don't get it. The 20th century was made on "Fad" cartridges. If not we would all be shooting either 375 H&H or a 45-70. And let's not forget when that little pip squeek 30-30 came around, 45 and 50s were all the rage back then, who would have thought about something 33% smaller?? They've killed everything on this contient on it boys. I mean really, its all about change. I don't think the WSMs or WSSMs gain any great advantage over the old standbys, but here's the deal who can tell? The 264 didn't make it when the 270 did. The 350 or any 35 didn't make it when the 338 did. Who can really tell? Fate is a fickle mistress.
                              I hope my 325 makes it, mainly because it was the last MDL 70 that rolled of the line but I actually like the gun. I won't beat my old 338 but it is an odd ball that I plan to hold onto because I can shoot the 180s with it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad