Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a .270 rem. 770 for next years deer season, this will be my frist rifle. So tell me what you think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a .270 rem. 770 for next years deer season, this will be my frist rifle. So tell me what you think.

Looking to buy a .270 rem. 770 for next years deer season, this will be my frist rifle. So tell me what you think.

Take a look at the Marlin XL7 and XS7 before you buy. The Marlin is a bit cheaper, and has a better trigger system. It is available in many chamberings including the .270. The folks I know that have bought them are well pleased. No fear if you are a Remington fan, Marlin and Remington are now owned by the same holding company...

Comment

Don't know too much about that rifle. .270 is an excellent caliber though. I'd buy a Savage if i was looking for a good budget rifle, but i'm sure the remington will do fine. As stated above the Marlin is a very accurrate budget rifle too.

Comment

An excellent choice!
        Be sure and buy extra ammo so you can practice and build your confidence before deer season.

My son bought that same rifle for himself and eventually moved up to the U.S. Army as a sniper.
        Good Luck!

Comment

I agree with Beekeeper. I looked at the 770 and was not very impressed with it, the bolt didn't have a smooth slide to it and it seemed to bee cheaply made. I bought the XL7 and have been very happy with it.

Comment

Gunslinger has experience with both and I remember him saying he really likes the Marlin. Everything I have read leads me to believe Beekeeper is right. Marlin is the way to go. If money is not a problem check out Kimber. I absolutely love my Mdl 8400 classic.

Comment

I have looked at the 770, and was not impressed, either. Like rrmont said, the bolt did not slide well at all, and actually appeared to have a thin rubber-like coating on it. It was very strange. I don't know of anybody who has been impressed by the 770. Listen to the other guys and look hard at the Marlin.

Comment

rem 770 has a poor trigger, fires differant every time-get what you pay for like the old saying goes. marlin are real good guns, dont know anything about marlins xl7. marlin lever action rifles are great, now in 308 as well as the trusty 30/30

Comment

Check out the $400 Weatherbys.

Comment

Thanks to all who made a post, i went with the .270 rem 770 and shot it today at the range. The sight was a little off but not by much, with 50 rounds shot today not one problem with it and the bolt action was smooth (oiling the night before) anyway thanks for your input and i am happyh with my remington.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad