Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey is a 30-06 good for a twelve year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey is a 30-06 good for a twelve year old?

Hey is a 30-06 good for a twelve year old?

I think that there are a number of variables in play here. 1. The size of the child 2. The prey in question 3. The anticipated size of the round. 4. The experience of the child.

Personally, I think shooting 180 grains in a lighter weight 30-06 can possibly make a kid recoil shy and cause some serious accuracy problems. I believe that most 30-06 loads push around 30 pounds of recoil which can be quite a bit on a small body. If the only prey is going to be deer, I would start at a 25-06 and stop at the 7mm Mag, of which the latter is a superior to a 30-06 in nearly every way (and that's coming from a 30-06 shooter).

Comment

No not at all. If the kid was 150 or above maybe. A 308 or a 25-06 would be a much better choice. Better yet a 243. I wouldn't give a kid a 30-06 until he was about 18.

Comment

It depends on how big your kid is. I was 150 pounds and a big kid, I could handle a 30-06 for deer, but I didn't like it. Although, I loved the .243, but If I had one at the time a 25-06 would be my choice.

Comment

yes, if you want to pick up the gun and kid from the ground separately. an .06 is way too much gun for a 12 year old. .22-.250 or .243 would be a lot smarter choice.

Comment

Take a look at the 7mm-08. It is great round for small to medium big game and can be used in a pinch for something larger. It is ballistically just about the equal of the 7 X 57 Mauser round. The 7 X 57 was one of Jack O'Connor's favorites and the round which his wife Elanor bagged jsut about everything with except Elephant and Rhino!

The 7mm-08 is mild in recoil and fits into a rifle that a young man can handle well. Ammo is widely available and every gun company builds a small frame rifle for it. Remington the model 7, Savage the models 10,11 and 16. Marlin the XS7 and XS7Y (a great bargain) and Ruger the Hawkeye. One of my favorites for young hunters and the ladies is the Browning Micro Hunter. My wife loves hers in 7-08 and has taken deer and some very large feral pork with it!

Comment

No. at 12 you would need to be a big kid to be able to handle any kick from the gun.

Comment

yes it is because my brother as shot the gun.

Comment

Yes, I would definitely shoot a 12 year old bear with a .30-06.

If we're talking about a 12 year old human shooting the gun, probably not.

Comment

I'd go more toward a .243 with an "average sized" 12 year old kid.

Comment

Absolutely not. It will teach flinching. That is a very costly thing to attempt to overcome.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                          by jhjimbo
                          You can buy a complete selection of sizes for very little - maybe $30. The selection covers all applications. Mine are in a yellow box and contain a few...
                          Today, 10:17 PM
                        • scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                          by dewman
                          Getting quite a collection of wrenches. I'd say I've thrown this many away,keep smaller sizes that come in the package for adjustments with the red dot/reflex...
                          Yesterday, 03:07 PM
                        • Reply to How much is too much?
                          by FirstBubba
                          That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
                          When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber"...
                          Today, 10:12 PM
                        • How much is too much?
                          by FirstBubba
                          There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                          Today, 09:40 AM
                        • Reply to How much is too much?
                          by jhjimbo
                          If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
                          Today, 10:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X