Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey is a 30-06 good for a twelve year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cm141518
    replied
    Im 13 and I shot .308 and 30-30 no problem. 30-06 is only a little bit of a step up, its still thirty caliber. Its not that bad.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Reid Jones answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    Go .243

Leave a comment:

• 268bull
    replied
    A lot of good views on this question. The maturity of the young shooter does make for a difference. But I would be inclined to start shooting a little less caliber (.243, .30-.30 )for a year or two and then turn your son loose on the .06. Starting on the range is a great idea,on the bench and using sandbags is how I would start.

Leave a comment:

• ras38023
    replied
    Remmington makes a new load called "managed recoil" my son shoots my 742 30-06 with no problem at age 9.The bullet is 125gr. and shoots like 150gr.I didn't believe it myself until we tried it last fall.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    I would agree with Mr. Jones. I think it is best to start with a light kicking gun in the calibers he mentions. That being said there are alot of 12 year olds who could handle a 30-06. Best bet might be to have range day with the kid and some friends if you don't own a variety of calibers and let the kid decide which one is best. No reason to create a negative experience and a recoil shy shooter if you don't have to.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Smith
    replied
    I'd say that a 30-06 is a good gun for 12 year olds thru 112 year olds. In bolt action it has a little kick to it but less than a 12ga. In a semiautomatic it has hardly no kick, like shooting a 20ga. Honestly its more of a hard push than a kick.

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    I think it would be fine. The recoil of a 30-06 isn't that bad and most 12 year olds should be able to handle it.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    When I was 12, Dad Sporterized 03-A3 30-06 topped with a Weaver K-6 for me and I used full house loads as good as the Adults. Of course, I was a very athletic kid both in endurance and strength. My Grandson Alex age 9 loves my 25-06 and will not give it back!

If you reload, Hornady 130 grain Soft Points is just the Ticket for even the biggest Monster Mullie!!
    If the 30-06 will not work, the 25-06 will without dought!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Reid Jones
    replied
    well it depends. are you at all experienced with guns? how well are you at taking recoil? a 30-06 will deliver some kick. if it was my 12 year old son i probably wouldn't have his first gun be a 30-06. maybe it's not his gun, but i wouldn't even want him to be shooting a gun bigger than a 243. a bad experience with gun recoil can make kids gun shy. i do for a fact know this. i shot a 12 gauge when i was 8 years old and i was afraid to shoot my 30-30 when i was 11. i was afraid of the kick. if you're 12 years old, in my opinion, NO you should not be shooting a 30-06. a 223, 243, 25-06, or if you needed to you could possibly try a 270. those are calibers that i would recommend for a young kid. you need a gun that you can learn to hunt with, and getting scared by recoil is a bad way to learn. as you get older, a 30-06 is a great caliber to hunt with. you can hunt a variety of big game animals with it.

Leave a comment:

• Nayrkceb
    started a topic Hey is a 30-06 good for a twelve year old?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad