Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many shots can you put through a barrel before the rifling wears out? on a .22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many shots can you put through a barrel before the rifling wears out? on a .22?

how many shots can you put through a barrel before the rifling wears out? on a .22?

I am sure alot I have put more than 5000 rounds through my 22 and havent had a problem yet.

Comment

Depends. A ruger rifle will wear out much faster than anything else

Comment

You should get at least 10,000, if not 20,000 accurate rounds out of a .22lr barrel.

Comment

depends,...usually quite a few. shoot away

Comment

Your not going to wear the rifling out in a 22, at least don't worry about it cause something else will have gone wrong before the rifling, Unless you clean it to much. 22's only need to be kept dry and dust free.

Comment

Depends on trhe cartridge, load and how you clean it! 220 Swift and 264 Win Mags are hard on the barrel!

Comment

I was talking to a gun smith about 2 years back and he said some of them won't wear out until about 500,000 rounds are put down the pipe.

Comment

As near as I can determine Jim in Mo is correct regarding the .22 RF. Just keep on shooting them and don't even worry much about cleaning. My old 10/22 has been routine shot and abused until the barrel was so hot you could not touch it. Its still accurate enough for a plinker. If the barrel burns completely out I'll just stick a better one on it. However most of the hot .22 centerfires are another story and have been discussed ad nauseum in other postings.

Comment

If you are talking about .22 long rifle you can forget the worrry. I don't think that we could wear one out in 5 generations. That is to say, if you shoot all the bullets you can afford, you can will it to your children, they can shoot all the bullets they can afford and pass it on to their children and so on. I suspect you should be able to make it at least 5 generations before someone will have to check the bore. (A little levity here but the point is, they sure don't burn out for a LONG time). Rust is a bigger concern for most .22's.

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad