Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks for all the good answers to my 44 mag vs. 45 Colt question. A follow-up: if you were buying a new SA revolver,what barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for all the good answers to my 44 mag vs. 45 Colt question. A follow-up: if you were buying a new SA revolver,what barrel

Thanks for all the good answers to my 44 mag vs. 45 Colt question. A follow-up: if you were buying a new SA revolver,what barrel length would you choose, 4 1/2, 5 1/2, or 7 1/2 inches?

For hunting I would suggest a 51/2 or 7 1/2 mine has a 4 5/8 but thats what I wanted and it'll shoot the Buffalo Bore 260's pretty good or I shoot 250 handloads. You should get a better sight picture with longer barrel also. Hope this helps

Comment

I prefer the long barrel-higher velocity and longer sight plane.

Comment

I have the 7 1/2 on my blackhawk, its a little too long for me. But you might like it. Next one i get will be 51/2.

Comment

Depends on your intended use. CCW go with the short barrel, primarily hunting go with the longest, everday all around use go in between.

Comment

I prefer a barrel around 5", even for hunting. Easier to carry and works fine for the range I am capable of with open sights.

Comment

If you plan on hunting with it then go with the 7.5 if you are just carrying it then a 5.5 will be fine.

Comment

For hunting 7.5", for protection 4.5".

Comment

longer for accuacy. or if your out of ammo you can use the long barrel as a weapon lol

Comment

I feel that the 5.5" on my smith is a good compromise for most situations, but my dad loves his 7.5" red-hawk.

Comment

5 1/2". Better for self defense from critters, easier to draw.

Comment

yeah i agree completely with jim in mo. if you're going to use it for protection against dangerous game, you might as well go with a shorter barrel. but if you're gonna hunt with it, get the long barrel.

Comment

5 1/2" on my Super Blackhawk. Long enough for an adequate sighting plane and realistic velocity, short enough to carry comfortably. If you need that much longer sighting plane or accuracy, get a rifle, or at least a Contender.

Comment

I would like a 5.5, but if this is a dedicated hunting gun, I would go with 7.5.

Comment

I had a 7 1/2 and a 12. I'd go for the 12.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad