Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know what type of gun I should get for hunting in Wisconsin for Pronghorn because I will be going there soon and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know what type of gun I should get for hunting in Wisconsin for Pronghorn because I will be going there soon and I

Does anybody know what type of gun I should get for hunting in Wisconsin for Pronghorn because I will be going there soon and I don't know what gun I should use. I thought about a 7 mm but if anybody has any other suggestions please tell me. Thanks

well landen 1st off i didnt even know there were proghorn in wisconson and i didnt know you were going soon. well you know me and how i hunt with rifles so you can trust me on this one. if i were you id get a .300. 7mms r great and all but the distance and the put down power of a .300 is unmatched. ive studyed them latly so i no wat im talking bout. you dont want waste ur time there tracking the thing. plus...u wont have to stalk the young pronghorn. just scope up a 300 yards and drop em. warning tho they kick like a mofo. they r at the 35 kick point range wen 25 is all that sould b used since it culd make you flinch. but man up, take the kick, and kill ur self a pronghorn!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

so are you goin fo the .300??? i wuld

Comment

Yea I will probably go with the .300 because I can hunt other animals just besides pronghorn do you know if I can hunt moose with a .300 Do you know what a good gun maker for the .300 is.

Comment

actually if you're worried about the kick, i would go with a .270 or a 25-06. it should do the job just fine.

Comment

I have never heard of a 25-06 what is the range of the gun.

Comment

think of a 243. you must know what a 243 is. okay, well a 25-06 can shoot the same size and weight of bullet as a 243, except a 25-06 has a bigger cartridge which means more powder. a 25-06 will do better in the wind than a 243. also a 25-06 has a bit more knockout power than a 243. you can take 300 yard shots with a 25-06 if you needed to. the 25-06 actually isn't that uncommon of a rifle caliber. i would look into one. they're also great for deer, antelope, and you can shoot elk with it with the right bullet!

Comment

.300 is alot of gun for Pronghorn but if that is what you like go for it. The .270 is easier to shoot for lots of people and will kill moose and elk quite well. You may have to go a little farther west than Wisconsin to find Pronghorn but maybe there is a remnant population I am not aware of. No matter where you go have fun!

Comment

Prong horn are fairly small animals and do not require alot of gun to be killed cleanly. Accuracy is the most important factor-at least in texas where i'm from, where shots are usually very long. The 7, and 300 mags are great guns, but can be hard to control. if you dont shoot alot, or are unsure about kick then i would recomend a 270, 308, 7mm-08, or 25-06 in that order. These are extremely accurate medium to mild kicking rounds. Buy a good scope and have fun!

Comment

i agree with most of these post, i think a 300 or 7mm would be a little much gun, i would go with a 30-06 or 308. but if you are still interested in a 7mm mag i have a Remington 700 adl 7mm mag for sale, i can ship it from my FFL dealer to yours.

Comment

300 Win Mag? Hell why not a Titan II ICBM with 13 MRV’s NUKEs all to hit in one place! If you must need all that gun for Pronghorn, what are you going to need for caribou? A 700 NITRO EXPRESS!!!

PotterMan96
                        25-06 would be absolutely perfect, even out to 700 yards!

Comment

Pronghorn and Caribou I put into the same class, it doesn’t take allot of gun to drop them in their tracks. For Caribou, a 270 130 grain and a for Pronghorn, a 22-250 55 grain Hornady soft point at 350ish yards both bullets really makes a mess in the boiler room department!

Can you say?

BANG! FLOP!!!!

Comment

I agree with Clay on this, you don't need a .300 for a goat. The 25-06 will be plenty of gun to do the job. If you are worried about recoil then you shouldn't even be thing about a 300.

Comment

I knew the .25-06 would be highly recommended here. for good reason. A .270 or a 6.5 would be perfect as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad