Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a .44 mag Redhawk that I traded years ago because I didn't like the muzzle blast and recoil. I am now considering a Ruger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a .44 mag Redhawk that I traded years ago because I didn't like the muzzle blast and recoil. I am now considering a Ruger

I had a .44 mag Redhawk that I traded years ago because I didn't like the muzzle blast and recoil. I am now considering a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. Has anyone shot both? Is the .45 Colt caliber an easier round to handle? I now also reload when before I didn't.

I shoot a 45 long colt on a old Ruger Vaquero, if you want it to have a poop then you should look for one of those the new ones cant take the presures. Another good choice would be a Blackhawk,as far as muzzle blast goes it is not to bad comapared to a 44 if your going to hunt with it I would sugest a good 250 or 300 grain like a Hornady XTP I have realy good luck with the 250 I took my fist handgun deer kill with it two years ago took 3 steps and fell over the shot was about 55 yards. Hope this hepls.

Comment

In factory loads, the 45 LC will be considerably lighter than the 44. You will notice a big difference. They are not loaded very hot b/c there are so many old guns chambered in 45 LC. However, your reloads can get pretty hot, if you wish, very close to the 44.

Comment

Depends what cartridges you use. If you hand load there are a lot of possibilities with this round, everything from light plinking loads to real barn burners that come close to matching 44mag in a modern revolver. On the factory ammo market there are a lot of choices also, from light cowboy loads to heavy muzzle flipping hunting loads, depending on what your needs are. With your 44 mag you could have made reduced loads or used some 44 special to get around the muzzle blast issues of the full power mag loads.

Comment

Forgot to mention check out some Buffalo Bore rounds you might be impressed

Comment

Some of the long .45 Colt flat nose hard cast bullets may be too long for the chamber - best to check before firing.

Comment

Also, crimp your handloads - some bullets can pull out of the case due to recoil and lock the gun up if they stick out the front of the chamber.

Comment

What greenhead said.

Comment

Muzzle blast is about the same, recoil not much different. I ended up reloading my Long Colt to the max, but it fell short of the .44. Ended up getting the .44 to avoid the hassle of reloading. The recoil of a .44 Mag with a 12" barrel is not objectionable. I found it fun to shoot and quite accurate.

Comment

Agreed with Greenhead answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad