Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have used one piece Dewey cleaning rods for years and have no complaints. I see now some manufacturers of one piece non-coate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have used one piece Dewey cleaning rods for years and have no complaints. I see now some manufacturers of one piece non-coate

I have used one piece Dewey cleaning rods for years and have no complaints. I see now some manufacturers of one piece non-coated cleaning rods claim the coated ones actually might pick up particles of various materiels which stick to the coating and potentially harm your expensive barrel. What do you think?

Yeah Ish I've heard it both ways and I have both kinds of rods.The claim is always the steel (or dewey) will damage the barrel. Well, one thing is for sure the less you have to clean the less chance you will do damage regardless. My bores are ultracoated and I no longer use bore brushes to clean. Just solvent and patches do the trick. Bill Evans (the ultracoat guy) gave me some new stuff and said try it on my windshield. I did and it is better than RainX. Water beads and wind pushes it over the top of the cab. RainX only lasts a week or so this stuff is still working and its been 3 weeks since I put it on. Dangdest thing I ever saw I can see quite well in pouring rain with my wipers turned off.

Comment

I rely on Dewey and Parker-Hale rods for chrome-moly and stainless barrels, and I see no wear or deterioration of accuracy that I can attribute to the rods.

Comment

The only problem I see with coated rods, the coating wears off anyhow and I always wipe the rod down frequently when using. A dirty rod is one of the best ways to destroy the rifling especially at the muzzle!

Comment

I don't get it, how does a cleaning rod hurt your barrel? When you guys clean your guns, you guys are wiping the rod down as you go? Do you spray your rod with anything before you clean a barrel?

Comment

You don't want to scrape the rod against the barrel. When cleaning from the breech some people position the muzzle close to a wall so the brush cannot exit the muzzle completely and possibly scratch the crown.

Comment

Back when I was using bore brushes to clean I used a drilled out case to protect the chamber and pushed the brush through from breech to muzzle and just unscrewed the brush. Screw it back on and go again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                by 99explorer
                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                Anybody
                Today, 01:09 AM
              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                by 99explorer
                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                Today, 12:57 AM
              • The George Floyd case.
                by FirstBubba
                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                Minnesota...
                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                by crm3006
                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X