Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i just got my first muzzleloader i don't know any thing about muzzleloaders have any tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just got my first muzzleloader i don't know any thing about muzzleloaders have any tips

i just got my first muzzleloader i don't know any thing about muzzleloaders have any tips

In-line, caplock or flintlock traditional?

Comment

caplock

Comment

Wipe the bore with a clean dry patch, snap a few caps to burn out any excess oil in the nipple. Pour a measured charge of powder (black, pyrodex,triple 7) down the barrel, then start your bullet and run it down firmly against the powder. Place a fresh cap on the nipple and you are ready. Wipe the bore with a fresh patch wet with water or spit to keep fouling to a minimum. Never load or clean if there is a cap on the nipple. Never use any kind of smokeless powder. DO buy a black powder shooting guide and read it. I did not address different kinds of bullets,how to seat them, etc. There is simply too much stuff to cover here. Get a book and read it first! You'll be glad you did cause there's so many things that can go wrong if you don't.

Comment

That should read wipe the bore between shots with a patch wet with water or spit. It will help accuracy.

Comment

make sure u remove the ram-rod before u shoot

Comment

I really like shooting a patched round ball with 90 grains of powder. It's a good accurate load up to 100 yds. I have shied away from the Powerbuilt and other saboted bullets. I personally feel they are not as accurate as the round ball. When I hunt I carry a nipple wrench, ball starter, cap ring, e-z loader tubes and a small knife because sometimes those caps are hard to get off.

I do not have a scope on my muzzleloader and do just fine with it.

Comment

What does your owners manual say!

Hey buckhunter

90 grains of powder, you wimp!

.429 diam 44 cal Hornady 265 soft point in a 50 cal TC Magnum Sabot with 160 grains of 777!!

Comment

I used to shot a cap-lock and the only buck I ever shot at, I knocked him right on his rump, and he got up ran away and never even found a spec of blood. I was shooting a ball w/patch and 90 grains of powder. I got rid of the gun for a mid-priced inline from CVA and dropped a 9pt this year, right in his tracks. I'd go with something other than a ball.

Comment

I would say that you should maybe use at least 100 grains of powder, and other wise just follow the owners manual for other stuff.

Comment

there is some very good advice above i have a caplock that i built using a kit not the best gun ever but its a lot of fun to shoot plus it looks good on my wall good luck!

Comment

make shure you pay special attention to your rifle when you clean it as muzzle loading powders tend to be alil bit more corosive and can deteriorate the condition of your rifles much more quickly than you would expect

Comment

Del gave good advice. Make sure to read you manual as well!

Comment

Don't smoke while loading, Paper wasp nests make good wadding, get a spare nipple & put the dessicant packs you find in pharmacuticals in the can you store bulk powder in. This will help keep hydroscopic powder from clumping like cat litter. Don't keep your powder in a flask or a horn, put the excess back in it's cannister when you put everything away.
                            Like archery, with black powder there is a point of pride in making your own "possibles". An empty brass cartrige can be trimmed to measure out a consistant measurement of powder. When you figure out the most efficient powder charge, make a measure and stick with it. This will give more accuracy. Oh and practice, practice, practice!

Comment

Get a subscription to "Blackpowder Hunting" magazine. They have all the info on what's hot and what's not. They sell back issues, too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad