Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are all the main items you will need to reload your own rifle ammo? I have no experience or intelligence on reloading, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are all the main items you will need to reload your own rifle ammo? I have no experience or intelligence on reloading, but

What are all the main items you will need to reload your own rifle ammo? I have no experience or intelligence on reloading, but i am looking into it. Someone help me out

Before you do anything buy at least a couple good reloading manuals and read them. Speer, Hornady, Hodgdon, Sierra, Barnes and many others are out there to choose from. Reloading is fun but serious business. Do that and if you still want to reload you can't go wrong with RCBS equipment. My Rockchucker press is over thirty years old and still going strong.

Comment

Just like Del said, then get a RCBS kit it will come with everything you need minus components. Then you will need powder, primers, bullets, and cases. The kit will come with lube and a trimer. You need to buy dies and you'll be set. Handloader Magazine is also a good one to get a subscription to as they cover a different cartridge every month and give you tips on reloading! Good luck, have fun, but be carefull one or two grains too much will make you have a very bad day!

Comment

Ditto Del and Brad. Reloading manuals are key. Someone to look over your shoulder is even better. A local gun club might offer NRA instruction. RCBS has some good info on their website.

Most of my stuff is also RCBS. Stick with a single stage press. By the way, anyone interested in a RCBS Progressive 2000?

Comment

There’s a few reloading videos you can buy.

This would be my choice!

http://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=430292431fba0690c8ce452562adce7 b

The fastest way to get into trouble is to dive into something you don’t know about!

Did you know that a 30-06 with a 24” barrel loaded with a 150 grain bullet at 2980ish FPS with the chamber pressure of 52,000 has 12,000 psi at the muzzle!

Comment

There are several good reloading sites on the net as well such as Hodgdon's which have the latest info and offers you lots of possibilities for varying your loads. Experimenting is good as long as you do not exceed the maximum recommendations. Learn the cautionary signs which signal high chamber pressure which are explained in the manuals. Back to the net sites be cautious of loads recommended by every yokel that can log on and type. Also be aware that due to differences in guns which I will not go into at this time loads for your buddy's guns might not be safe for yours. Keep track of the number of times you reload each lot of brass as their days are limited depending upon load, cartridge, and simply wearing out due to fatigue. Back in about 1970 I more or less had to learn how to reload on my own as I didn't know anyone who rolled their own. Luckily I faired well but then I tend to be a cautious person although some people might not say so. Reloading is part science and part art, apply both and ask an experienced reloader if you encounter problems. Later on your need to add a bullet puller, maybe a stuck case extractor, and I consider an electronic scale to be far superior to the old analytical balances. Pretty soon you night discover that you have a new hobby that is good for those cold winter days when hunting season is closed and those days when it is to hot to fish.

Comment

Should say above "might discover" not "night", looks like I better get some sleep

Comment

Reid, all the above are excellent answers. The only thing i would add , is, I prefer Hornady reloading tools. Get as many reloading manualsas you can and read and understand them before you do any reloading. A good free information manual about powders can be picked up from Hodgen Powdrs or downloaded off the internet. Most bullet manufacters also have free downloads too. REMEMBER NEVER USE MORE POWDER THAN THE MANUALS SAY!!!!! AFTER YOU'VE DONE LOTS OF RELOADING AND FEEL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. you might want to look into a progessive reloader. Surf the internet. Hornady and Dillon make my favorites. Enjoy your reloading experience, it won't happen overnight but with careful plannig you'll be able to do a lot more shooting. One last thing, don't forget to do lots of reading on all the different kinds and sizes of primers, this is very important.

Comment

All the guys above have given sound advice. RCBS is the place to look for long lasting equipment. Hornady and Nosler are my favorite manuals and the Hodgedon site is excellent. Always read and follow directions exactly.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I started with a single stage, a up to date reloading manual, & a thought that I might not be the only one shooting what I load. Even if you go progressive later you can still use your single stage to pull bullets & deprime. Start low on the chart & gradually move up. Watch your groups, the best group may not be the hottest. Besides it's cheaper to use less powder & your brass last longer. Everyone has given you good advise, read & be safe above all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad