Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm riflescope. What's the price range on it? And what do you think about me putting it on my future Ruger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm riflescope. What's the price range on it? And what do you think about me putting it on my future Ruger

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm riflescope. What's the price range on it? And what do you think about me putting it on my future Ruger M77 Hawkeye 25-06? And what is a Tactile Power Indicator with Graphite 0-Rings for Easy Operation. What the heck is that, and what does it do?

Personally, I think 40mm is a better choice. Ample light gathering, smaller, lighter, and sits lower on the rifle.

Tactile implies that there is a means to operate it by feel instead of sight. If you look at the power adjustment ring there is a bump/knob, so you know you are turning the right adjustment. Plus it gives you a little more leverage to turn the ring.

O-rings are used to seal the circular parts of the scope. I can only presume that the graphite O-rings used to seal the power adjustment rings help provide some slipperiness to make turning the knob easier.

Price is in the $500-$660 range, depending on reticle and finish.

Comment

MLH is right 50 mm is overkill on the Objective lens.
      I bought a brand new with sealed box VX III 3.5 X 10 X 40 for $415 bucks on Ebay. Mine has the Boone & Crockett Reticle which is more expensive. The plex reticle is really all you need. That was the best price I could find. It is mounted on my Kimber 25-06 with leupold rings. Last fall I killed 3 deer with 4 shots the first hour of opening day using it.

Comment

oh thanks guys.

Comment

I use that scope on my 25-06 for deer hunting and I am very happy with it. Things I like:
          - Gives me about a half an hour more hunting each day because it picks up light much better than the 40mm Objective. I can see things through the scope that I can hardly see with the naked eye.
          - The low end magnification is fine for shooting in the timber and running shots.
          - High end... good enough for deer at almost any reasonable range. I use the plex reticle and that is fine since deer hunting is only out to about 400 yds and I can estimate range and holdover OK.
          Things I don't like:
          - I have to put on another scope to target shoot and prairie dog shoot. 10x is not enough to put that cross hair between a prairie dog's eyes at 300 yds.

Bottom line: It does what I bought it for extremely well. Don't get me wrong, I have probably shot thousands of prairie dogs with a 3X9 but bigger is really better there. By the way, I accidentally dropped my rifle out of my tree stand last year (about 20 feet); thankfully I didn't have a round in the chamber! It bounced about 3 feet when it hit and ricocheted off a couple of trees! I trecked out of the woods and tested the zero... RIGHT ON! I haven't had to make a change since I bought it.

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad