No announcement yet.

nicest .22 ever made in your opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicest .22 ever made in your opinions?

nicest .22 ever made in your opinions?

Ruger 10/22!

Comment

Reid, No good answer because most shoot so damn well. I have an old Rem 572 pump that is the most accurate 22 I ever shot but my sons Marlin M60 auto is awfully good. Sometimes I think a 22 rifle is more finicky about ammo than a centerfire rifle.

Comment

This really is a subjective issue, a difficult question to answer because there are (were) some excellent .22 rimfire rifles and you're asking for the "pick of the litter". I offer opinions, not definitive answers, because there are many experienced shooters on this forum who will differ and they're opinions are every bit as valid as mine, but I suspect if there are sufficient responses, you'll see some repetition, some agreement, as well as a spectrum of other choices with which I have no experience (therefore, no opinion). In some cases, the rifles I mention may be found as used firearms because they're out of production.
        As far as bolt actions are concerned, the Anschutz 1416D, the Winchester Model 52, and the Ruger M77/22 are fine choices.
        Lever actions? The Marlin 39A, AS and Mountie are very good choices that have retained their value, and the Winchester 9422 is another very good choice.
        Autoloaders? There were many that are serviceable and reliable, but the Ruger Model 10/22 Deluxe Sporter was (is) a solid choice. It's well supported by Ruger's guarantee and by many aftermarket options. The reliable magazine fits flush with the stock (I find those protruding magazines an eyesore) and it is accurate, fun to shoot.
        My best experience with pump action .22s was a Remington 572. I have no criticism of it. I'm sure I could come up with other options if I take more time to consider it, but these are the first that come to mind.

Comment

The 1980's vintage Kimber BA .22's are the creme de la creme. Can't remember the model #'s but the Super America was top of the line.

Comment

Before Kimber started making the best production centerfire rifles available, they produced The Best (production)Rimfire .22 rifles on the planet. Weatherby makes some sweet .22s also, Both are pricey.

Comment

I am partial to the old guns so like the Winchester M-52. The one that was the most fun, however, was a Remington M-572 pump.

Comment

I like my Remington Viper, but having to do over I would NOT choose this one. It functions as good as I would expect, but the stupid Clinton ban era gun only has a 10 rnd mag. And with a .22, that sucks for target shooting/plinking.

Comment

My Remington Nylon 66 .22LR

Comment

It is very difficult to separate "nicest" from "favorite" .22 RF rifles. My favorites include Marlin M-39, Winchester M-61 & M-62, Ren M-572 & Nylon 66, of course the vernerable 10/22 & 77/22, and the little Browning take down semi-auto (plus Remington equivalents) and Browning trombone. Anschultz has turned out some real winners as has Sako and Walther. I suppose overall I consider the older Oregon Kimber bolt actions to be the "nicest". An old friend has it in his will that his old Kimber is to be buryed with him. Maybe Dave should take it upon himself to select the top fifty .22 RF rifles and handguns as another list to be presented on this blog. Everyone loves a .22 RF...if you can locate any ammo for them. What a strange ending to a paragraph and one that would not have been predicted as little as 6-12 months ago.

Comment

Del is correct the old Kimber's we really sweet .22's. On the more affordable side the Ruger 77/22 is a good one as is the CZ452 and 453.

Comment

Narrow this question down, then I can answer. Way too much variety.

Comment

marlin semi auto.30 years old and still smooth

Comment

Henry Golden Boy is second only to the Ruger 10/22.

Comment

A Winchester model 69 with iron sights is great. It is simple, looks great, and is relible. They last made about 45-60 years ago. A nice one tat is mint runs for about $500-600.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                                Today, 07:26 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by FirstBubba
                                Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                                Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                                Today, 07:18 PM
                              • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X